Thread: Wifi modes

Above Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Wifi modes

I would like to be sure about something...

I have a wifi modem which has 3 modes:
    - 11b
    - 11g
    -Mixed (11b+11g)

The usb-wifi sticks we use on both our pcs are 11g, so logically i select the 11g mode on the wifi modem. But lately, i've spent some time on my psp and while i was trying to setup the networking, i've noticed that it connects only when i set the modem on 11b or mixed mode 11b+11g. Therefor, i have set the modem on mixed mode. Is it going to change something in my connection speed? I have made a try with µtorrent and i could easily reach 800 kb/s in both 11g and 11b+g(mixed)...

Also, it seems that my 128 hex WEP key was too long for my psp, i've set it to 64 hex and now everything works perfectly. Will it be a security issue if the level of encryption is lower?

I don't really plan to browse the net a lot with my psp but when there's a possibility on a machine, i like to know that it's all there, configured and ready to be used... But if it has the consequence to be a problem for the security of my network and the speed of my connection, then i'll simply set it back to 128hex and 11g.

Anyone could light up my candle?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The PSP only has the slower 11b version of WiFi so that is why you needed to set it to mixed mode.

There should be no slowdown caused on the network using mixed mode. It would only be transferring files across the network with an 11b device as part of the transfer that might slow the speed of all the connected wireless machines to the slower 11b protocol. But if all the machines are just connecting to the router for internet access then you shouldn't see any slowdown at all.

And 64bit encryption should be secure enough for any home network. It is only data sensitive networks that really need 128 bit encryption.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Above Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice, thank you for the answer. My wife just reminded me that her DS also require 11b, so i guess the mixed mode is the way to go for us...