Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

A600 PCMCIA Fast Ram

I have an A600 with 2MB chip ram, but no fast ram, and the only easy way to add some fast ram to the A600 is via the PCMCIA slot, with the only option being to try and track down a very rare A600 accelerator.

I know that due to PCMCIA Fast Ram cards being 16-bit, adding ram via such cards will slow down the speed of an A1200. However, what about an A600? Will a ram card also slow an A600 down?

And what PCMCIA ram cards will work with the Amiga? I know they need to be 16-bit Type II PCMCIA SRAM cards, but what else would I need to look for?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Harrison

PCMCIA SRAM will increase the speed of an A600 by 60%...

As the A600 only has a 7MHz MC68000 is around 25% of the speed of a 14mHz of an 020, this is all because (not the lady lovin' the milk tray) an 020 is bottlenecked by the CHIP bus and will only perform around half as good as it could.

It is this fact that causes the problem with PCMCIA SRAM. the PCMCIA access is governed by the main Bus, and as such the 020 has to share access times with the rest of the chips... hence the the 10 - 15% loss in performance.
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's good news then. On some other Amiga forums and sites there are posts saying PCMCIA Ram cards will slow an A600 down. But I will believe you over them any day.

Now the only problem is finding one! I had a look on ebay, but there was one one and the guy wanted £25 + postage which is way too much. Are the cards known by any other name? Something else I can search for to find them?

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have this 2MB Pcmcia card that i use in my A600 (2MB Chip / 2MB Fast PCmcia) and it rocks with Bloodwich Classicwb GAAE (Classic Workbench Green Amiga Alien Edition), but now i'm tempted to test the speed with SysInfo (don't know with haven't doned it yet), i will defenitly test it tomorow! . PS: Also works great with my A1200 (2MB Chip / 4MB Fast Ram AmitekHawk / 2MB Fast Ram Pcmicia ; 8MB Total), also have to test the impact on speed when using it.

Picture :

More info tomorrow.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @JLPedro

That will be interesting to find out. I look forward to seeing your results.

Based on all information I've read, using that card with an A1200 should slow it down quite a lot. Will be interesting to see if that is also true when you test it out.

@Zetr0

What other options did I have for adding fast ram to an A600?

Can any other PCMCIA ram/memory cards be made to work with the A600? I'm thinking of ones like the CF card readers.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Luscious Linkie Time

2MB Transcend

its at £2 at the moment, and a few hours to go.... I wouldn't spend more than £15 on it.
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cheers for the link. I just found that one myself and stuck a watch on it. And that will work perfectly with the A600?

I also found a Misubishi card identical to the one JLPedro posted above, but the guy wants £30 for it! Way too much.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Harrison

there is another method,

LDV designed an 8MB internal memory card for the A600, it clips on the chip.

Read more about it here

he also offers a download, kit and pre-built boards.

you can buy them here

In the latter it might be wise to *Group* buy as there will be a cost using Western Union, (as pay-pal dont like the USSR or what ever they are called now..)

If you are interested in grabbing a group together, count me in, I would like a couple of boards and a couple of programed CLPD's

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the links. 8MB of fast ram in the A600 would be really cool, and $40 (£20) for the expansion isn't expensive at all. But as you say, the shipping costs and the payment fees (I know WU charge silly fees) would really add to the costs.

I've not really got the spare cash to buy one at the moment, but if I decide to later I will see what deals they can do on buying a bulk order of pre-built boards.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    count me in for a couple then H