Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The olympics

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

The olympics

Ah, the Olypics two weeks of sports that normally never get on TV because nobodies interested in them. We've had the build up in Britain with the nations hopes for gold medals raised only to be dashed in openening ceremony when we realise that some pacific island with a population of one man and his chicken will end up higher on the medal table than team GB. And when it's all over the host nation is left reeling from it's losses with brand new sports facilities that no one will ever use, ever again, that will be falling to pieces by the time the next olympics is held due to the shoddy workmanship and all the embezeling of funds by the organizers. Or is that just what will happen in London 2012?
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm... well I'm recording the opening on Sky Plus and will fast forward through it stopping in a few places that look mildly interesting.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last olympics was apparently Great Britain's 2nd highest ranked finish (1st was when a number of other countries didn't compete in LA), according to an article I read at lunch.

I'd like to have watched some of the opening ceremony. 4 hours is a bit long though.

I like seeing some of the more obscure sports. I don't really care much or get into it but it's something a bit different, and i can respect the dedication it takes to perform at high levels.

But I have no time for the politics behind it, and the IOC are about as corrupt as they come. Can't say I was fussed about having the 2012 olympics in London at all.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Olympics 2012.... or as it will be known..... Traffic Terror 2012... will be, as with all things committees with more money than sense, be an absolute torment for local, national and international spectators...

will it generate money.... i doubt it will be as much as they claim... personally theres just too much politics in the olympics for me to be even remotely interested!

and then theres the corruption, see now that should be a sport....

"and here we have for Brittan, in the International Embezzling Event.... .... we came 3rd last year to Zaire and as well all know Kenya still in the lead with the Gold... or was it Diamond????.."

yes... i sense a new slew of events.....
    • International Whistle Blowing
    • The Back-hand Relay
    • Crisis Fund Reapropriation Relay
    • False Econimic Crisis Race

other events to include,
    • Buck Jumping and Passing
    • The Oritorical 500 and 1500 Meters
    • Political Dodge Ball
    • The Hiperboly Long Jumping

and everyones favourite will be included
    • A good game of Country Invasion
      only open to countries that use english as a default language

you may well sense that i have a some what skewed view of the Olympiad
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

I'm not really intrested in the olympics either and i see our press are saying we'll get this many medals / that many etc will they ever ****ing learn??? thing is if we don't 95% of the country don't really care!

I missed the opening ceremony too what i did see on the news looked great this sure was a spectacle on a scale we could never do!

did anyone see the fella from the ioc say that the smog was mist lol

BTW: the tune on the bbc for the olympics sounds very 64 chippy don't u think?
    well ok similar
    A1200 : Blizzard 030 / 4gb 2.5" Hd /64mb Edo ram/1 gb compact flash - pcmcia / internal scan doubler / Trilogic joystick mouse adaptor (works with pc optical mice) 17" Black Samtron samsung monitor...

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Regarding the smog. On Sky News their reporter was stood outside in China in the very early morning with the rowers behind him practicing up and down the river. You could hardly see them! It made me thing that their boats should be painted in florescent colours so we can see who wins the races!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I may have the olympics on in the background this year but i normally wouldn't drop everything to watch it.

I saw about 10 minutes of the opening on the news yesterday.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sarek2k View Post
    BTW: the tune on the bbc for the olympics sounds very 64 chippy don't u think?
    Yeah, it does sound quite 8-bit. The BBC branding was done by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett, the two guys behind the Gorillaz.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I recorded the opening ceremony, and had the chance to watch a bit of it today.

A good showing, indeed. I probably won't be following much of the sports, but I hope it'll be a fair, incident-free event.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw some of the rowing this morning and the GB mens team failed to get through the semi-finals, coming 4th in their heat. However the GB womans team did really well, coming first ahead of the German team. They were holding back a length short of the German boat until the final 500M when they put a big spurt on and quickly caught and moved past them. Was great to watch. Lets hope they do as well in the final.

And we have a gold medal already too. Who said we wouldn't get any?