Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Much like the way it is with football here then. I never cared particularily for football, but didn't use to hate it either. But someone somewhere has decided that this sport is 'popular', so you get football shoved down your throat everywhere you turn. You can't watch TV, listen to the radio, read the newspaper or anything without getting the latest results, the latest transfers which cost this and that many millions, which teams are on the verge of being relegated and oh, what a tragedy that will be for them, such an upstanding and honorable team, boohoo. And let's not forget all the reports about the latest bruised knees and the interviews with everyone and their kid sisters telling how it is oh so important that he recovers soon and there is interviews and it is such a tragedy for the player, the team, the coach, the teammates, his family, his pet dog, his eight-digit account balance and the prime minister who's favourite team the sod happens to belong to.

*inhales*

Football to me is like that annoying friend who doesn't realise that visiting for eight hours five days a week is overdoing it a bit.

It's just the wild mass coverage that irks me. As if it wasn't enough of it allready, during cups and such several stations announce they'll be sending only football all day/weekend or somesuch, and they announce it as if it was great news! You know, if they used some of that time and resources to cover other sports too it wouldn't perhaps be so bad. It's not that they don't cover others, but the coverage others get is not even miniscule in comparison.

So I've come not to like football much.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ditto.

Just swap all instances of football

with AFL.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just imagine the uproar if pr0n was rammed down our throats 8 hours a day...

And I can imagine that pr0n is far more popular that football will ever be...
    This is not a signature

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Problem was, Liverpool never actually won it.
    And who won it in 2005?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by v85rawdeal
    Just imagine the uproar if pr0n was rammed down our throats 8 hours a day...

And I can imagine that pr0n is far more popular that football will ever be...
    Well I guess if we had great-looking women showing their tits all over all day long I guess I would tire of... No.. no, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't actually.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to agree with you all regarding Football coverage. I don't hate the game as a sport, but I don't have any interest in Football myself, but it is the only sport will mass coverage that is rammed down your throat if you like it or not.

And people who are Football fans seem to find it hard to understand why you wouldn't also be as interested in it as they are when they try to start a conversation about Football and you tell them you don't follow it.

I think this is one reason it is covered so much, because a large proportion of the working classes, in the UK at least, are fanatical about it as it is one of the only things outside of their mundane lives they they can feel a part of. For the rest of us we just have to grim and bare it.

I have always wished some other sports were covered in much more detail. Many of the motor sports around the world are not covered much in the UK at all. Nascar and Indycar are hard to find coverage for in the UK, as are others motorsports such as the Aus V8 series. Or Tennis, although it is covered for some of the bigger championships most of the events around the world are not covered that well.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post

I have always wished some other sports were covered in much more detail. Many of the motor sports around the world are not covered much in the UK at all. Nascar and Indycar are hard to find coverage for in the UK, as are others motorsports such as the Aus V8 series.
    Yea go V8 series! So good!!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

Do you mind?
    Slagging off footy.
    Some of us here are upset.
    Got to wait over two months for the season to start again.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I have always wished some other sports were covered in much more detail. Many of the motor sports around the world are not covered much in the UK at all. Nascar and Indycar are hard to find coverage for in the UK, as are others motorsports such as the Aus V8 series. Or Tennis, although it is covered for some of the bigger championships most of the events around the world are not covered that well.
    Coverage is generally pretty good if you know where to look, Champcar is usually shown live on Eurosport, AusV8 & DTM on Motors. NASCAR is live on NASN which is part of the Setanta Sports package so costs extra.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm always waiting for the NFL to start in september. Unfortunately we have no channels that shows the NFL besides Premiere. And Premiere worked fine on my Dreambox for 6 month, and since 2 weeks it doesn't anymore. They now changed keys again, and also decryption, they go with Entavio now.