Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use it on my cd cases to get all the stickers off of them
    That's so annoying when the put their stickers just in front of the case, makes me mad every time. Have to get such a product. Is De-Solve It something british?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not heard of that either. Maybe it's an Australian only product?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got the CPU off of the heatsink. The hair dryer worked a treat. I just blasted the edges of the CPU where it met the heatsink for a few minutes, turning it to heat each side, and it eventually just fell off. Was surprised to find it was just thermal grease holding it on, but as its been like that since new it was quite solid and whoever built it used way too much thermal grease between the two. It was caked in it!

That's all cleaned up now and ready to be reinstalled onto the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by cicobuff View Post
    How old is the PC? Would it be worth re-evaluation rather than troubleshooting? Or even time saved on trying to sort it out?

I mean if you are unsure that it is definitely the PSU....it could be a voltage issue with the mobo...the heatsink stuck to the CPU issue on top, how much time do you want to spend investigating? Time is your monetary loss as well as a pc repairer dont forget....

Depending on the clients computing needs, it may work out more cost effective with less labour intensive repairs to actually get another motherboard (with onboard graphics unless he is a gamer), CPU and PSU if diagnosis is proving troublesome, providing the exisiting RAM is compatible and hard disk, drives etc are ok.
    It's a home computer used by a family with 3 children. They all use it for work, homework, internet, a bit of gaming etc...

It's not that new but it is fast enough for their needs. The spec is a 2.6GHz Pentium 4 with 768MB ram. (I upgraded it for them last year by adding a DVD-RW and an extra 512MB ram).

I know that the HD is ok, and the ram would be compatible with a similar spec system, so something newer such as the cheaper AMD64's still available.

My plan is to do the following.

Buy a new PSU and connect it up and test. If the system fires up and runs fine for a day then everything is good to go.

But if that doesn't work then I cam be quite sure the motherboard is the problem, and I have a couple of options I can give the owners to choose between.

I could source a new motherboard for them, outlining the problems this may still cause as I don't know for certain, although I'm pretty sure, the ram and CPU are both ok.

Or I could ditch the existing motherboard and CPU and install them a new motherboard and CPU into the existing case, using the existing ram, graphics and TV cards, optical drives etc...

As for cost, I'm not doing this for free so that's not a problem.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I dunno I assume you can get it elsewhere...strange.

Here is what it looks like

Hopefully it makes it easier for you
    Last edited by Submeg; 24th January 2007 at 20:41. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Submeg View Post
    Hmm, but the glue would have been heated up and cooled down numerous times, so it would require a lot of heat to melt that hard glue.
    You know, I was just about to go 'oh yeah, oops, durrr, silly me'

and then I read:

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I got the CPU off of the heatsink. The hair dryer worked a treat. I just blasted the edges of the CPU where it met the heatsink for a few minutes, turning it to heat each side, and it eventually just fell off. Was surprised to find it was just thermal grease holding it on, but as its been like that since new it was quite solid and whoever built it used way too much thermal grease between the two. It was caked in it!
    Yay!

I rule!

I actually read about using a hairdryer on another forum, but this time it was to get badges off cars without leaving too much residue or pulling off paint, and also to soften the sealant that binds the clear plastic outer lens of headlights to the actual body of the headlamp unit, so it can be disassembled.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also read on other forums about people using or suggesting to use a hairdryer. And it worked easily too. The heatsink got really hot, which just goes to show how good they are at conducting heat quickly. I think had it been more than just thermal grease I would have needed to try something more, so lucky it was just that.

I've now got that system fully working again and the owner collected the PC today. It turned out to be the PSU that was faulty. I think it developed a bad ground because it was pulsing power to the system even when in soft-off mode as it was still feeding power and making the CPU fan spin and the front power led flicker, even when the system was off. I stuck a new PSU in the system and it works perfectly again.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually read about using a hairdryer on another forum, but this time it was to get badges off cars without leaving too much residue or pulling off paint, and also to soften the sealant that binds the clear plastic outer lens of headlights to the actual body of the headlamp unit, so it can be disassembled.
    And why would you need to know how to get badges off of cars?

Oh yea, btw De-Solve-It is by Orange power. It works a treat, always gets all the rubbish off of my cd cases, and it takes about 10 secs to work
    Last edited by Submeg; 31st January 2007 at 12:39. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    And why would you need to know how to get badges off of cars?

Oh yea, btw De-Solve-It is by Orange power. It works a treat, always gets all the rubbish off of my cd cases, and it takes about 10 secs to work
    I've seen that De-solve it stuff in mail order catalogues and on shopping channels.

As for the car badges, it was on a kind of enthusiast site. A lot of people take off the factory fitted badges to move them or put different ones on, or to get rid of them altogether.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Common practice by people who cannot afford the real deal. Buy a cheaper model of the same car, debadge it and customise it to look like the expensive performance model. Without the actual performance of course.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Common practice by people who cannot afford the real deal. Buy a cheaper model of the same car, debadge it and customise it to look like the expensive performance model. Without the actual performance of course.
    Lots of manufactures will do it for you when you buy the car. I read somewhere that in the UK a large proportion of BMW 316's and the other lower performance 3-series tick the Delete Badge option to make it look like they got something better than they have while in Germany a high proportion of M3 buyers opt for the delete option to make their cars seem more subtle.