Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

An Xbox360 or a Playstation 3?

Hello all,

I am considering of getting a new console but I am not sure for which one I should go, can those of you who own either of these consoles give me suggestions?
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definately a PS3 hands down
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have responded sooner but I wanted to be tactful in my reply, so here goes.

360 suck a**...

No, seriously, I have never used a 360, but their reliability still has a question mark over it. Plus M$ and their tendancy to withdraw support at a moment's notice - a la original xBox - is something that casts a shadow over the 360.

Also, with the exception of FFXIII, it seems that the momentum regarding games is starting to swing toward the PS3 when it comes to top titles that look interesting - Little Big Planet... and next year we gonna get InFamous.

Sony's support of the console, with the odd exception - Update 2.4, has been exemplary in comparision to what seems to have been a piecemeal effort on the 360.

360 owners wax lyrical about xbox live, but you do have to pay to play (never a good thing in my opinion) whereas PSN, while still in the process of being improved, is completely free (always a good thing, in my book).

But the main factor is...

The sheer versatility of the machine, straight out of the box. Wireless, Hi-Def movies, easy compatibility with so many storage devices, PSP communication, great games (can be said for both machines). and it's not even two years into it's life. So there is plenty of stuff still to come.

So, my completely unbiased (if only because it wouldn't be fair to try and compare it to a console I have never used) is to go for the PS3.
    This is not a signature

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Best way to decide would be to do the following:

1. Find lists of currently released games for either console
    2. Find lists of future releases for either console
    3. Check the lists for titles that you really want
    4. If the amount of PS3 must-haves exceeds the amount of 360 must-haves, get a PS3
    5. If the amount of 360 must-haves exceeds the amount of PS3 must-haves, get a 360
    6. If want to get into high definition video, the PS3 offers you the option to do so by including a Blu-ray drive
    7. The 360 online service appears to be more robust and complete as of right now; however, you have to pay an annual subscription fee for it
    8. If money isn't an issue, just buy both and enjoy the best of both worlds

As for my personal opinion, I do think that the PS3 offers a more complete package, and better value for money. You really can do just about anything media-related with it. On top of that, it's quieter and the build quality appears to be better.

While the 360 may seem cheaper, there's 'hidden' additional costs that aren't immediately apparent to the casual buyer. The annual subscription fee for the Live service is one, the extra costs for expanding the hardware (the 360 accepts only proprietary hard drives, for example) is a second. If all added up, this drives the costs past that of a PS3 easily.

On the other hand, Microsoft has really thrown a lot of money around this generation to secure games for its platform, so for now, the 360 has a more diverse lineup of games, particularly in the JRPG department (which the PS3 sorely lacks right now).

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends if you just want games, or if you want hi-def movies and all that jazz.

Also, think about which service the majority of your friends have. This way you can play online with them, swap games etc etc.

I've never used a PS3, but have a 360 and love it to pieces. Almost all of the points used against the 360 could be countered with simialr things against the PS3. I'm not one of the OMG PS3 SUXXORZ crowd.

Also, differennt forums have their own opinions. Whether or not it's a herd mentality or a reflection of their nature, which brought them together I don't know. OVer on WoS and BETEO for example the people there aren't too keen on PS3, here they love it.

Which excites you more? Go for that one.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    wait till christmas...

both system will be cheaper and you can by them both for not much more than the same price as a PS3 at the moment
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
    wait till christmas...

both system will be cheaper and you can by them both for not much more than the same price as a PS3 at the moment
    That sounds interesting as there currently aren't many games I wish to play now for either of them.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If there are not many games you are interested in playing on either system, then wait. The great thing about waiting is that when you do eventually own one or both the other games will then be at bargain prices in the discounted or budget re-releases so you will be able to pick up many great games for not much money.

Also do you have an HDTV? If not then you won't really get much from either console that you cannot get from the huge library of PS2 games available. I think it is only worth buying with if you do have an HDTV.

Quote Originally Posted by v85rawdeal
    their reliability still has a question mark over it. Plus M$ and their tendancy to withdraw support at a moment's notice - a la original xBox - is something that casts a shadow over the 360.
    This is definitely something seriously important. M$ are already working on their next system to replace the 360. Well OK so is Sony, but M$ is looking to launch the next one much earlier than Sony will. And the big difference is support. While Sony continue to support their systems long after the next is released (just look at how many PSOnes were sold after the PS2 appeared, and the PS2 is still outselling both next gen systems overall!), M$ have no such interest in continuing support for their then obsolete systems. As soon as the 360 was released the original Xbox support was all but dead over night, and the games releases practically stopped dead at that time.

And reliability is still a big issue for the 360. M$ do now offer a long term warranty to cover the ring of death problem, but that only highlights how much of a problem it really is. Also now that it has been legally stated in law (in the UK) that mod chips are not illegal, M$ are actually breaking the law. How? If you have a hardware modded 360 and go online, M$ are running some detection software that will detect your mid chip and instantly ban you from Xbox live! Nice! NOT!

However you can easily software mod a 360 to "try out" games via patching the DVD drive firmware. Something to consider if you are interested in such activities.

My personal view however, is to go with the PS3. Long term support from Sony. It is much more than just a games system. Instead offering a complete home entertainment solution for video, audio and gaming. Blu-Ray has won as the Hi-Def format and the PS3 is also the only logical choice if you ever want to buy Blu-Ray movies. This is because new features are constantly being added to the Blu-Ray specification and standalone players quickly become out of date and cannot access newer features. With the PS3 Sony just update the firmware to support the changes.

And the majority of games that were "exclusive" on the 360 are now also available on the PS3 and/or PC. As you are looking to also build a new PC you will be able to play the majority of 360 releases in their PC versions. In contrast the PS3 will actually end up having the true exclusives, and as time goes on developers will start to really push the hardware far beyond the 360's abilities.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Zetr0. Wait until Christmas as with the global credit crunch you'll start to see shops selling electronics at stupid prices just so they can get sales.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I expect by that time 360's will be given away with every purchase!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!