Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually quite enjoyed Brotherhood of Steel. It wasn't great that is true, but it was an OK action adventure game.

One thing they haven't shown anything of in the demo videos is your sidekick dog, other than at the very end of the video sequences.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should've clarified; Brotherhood sucked as a Fallout game. It was exactly what people are fearing Fallout 3 will be, a totally action orientated game where the adventure element was only there to act as an excuse to send you rampaging through it's levels. And no advanced, branching conversations either. You had several reply options in the conversations but they were still completely linear.

If you disregard its Fallout roots it was an ok dungeon crawler in itself. I've spoken warmly before of the engine it was built on, which was first used on Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and then later its sequel, the two Everquest titles Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms, and finally The Bard's Tale remake. I can recommend all of these titles if you like this sort of games, but they are all fairly linear hack'em-ups with little in common with the main game series they were based on. And if I were to rate these games in any order I'd say Brotherhood was the worst of them. But it was still good enough that I played it through to the end, which counts for something. I rarely finish games that aren't above average anymore. Mainly because there's just too many games and not enough free time.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello all,

Well Harrison, I do not share your optimism, because one way or another, this is not Fallout.
    Fallout was never like Oblivion and it should not become like it either, Bethesda should have made its own PA license.

I'm probably getting it just because it's Fallout. I mean, I bought Brotherhood of Steel knowing that it was supposed to suck (and it did).
    Teho, have you considered waiting until its in the bargain bins or sold second hand?
    Just because it has the name of a brand on it it doesn't mean you have to get it immediately.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Teho

Yep I've played all of those games you mentioned. And yes, it was quite a good game engine. I've always quite liked the dungeon crawler style games. However none can beat Dungeon Siege. I still love that game. Many slated it but I really enjoyed it. Sometimes you don't want to have to solve puzzles, navigate long branching conversations and other aspects of a full RPG, but instead want a more dumbed down Acton RPG where you can just hack and slash your way though masses of enemies, collecting the loot and have fun.

@Ghost

Times move on. If they had keep Fallout 3 in the same style as the previous two games then no one would have bought it other than the existing fans of the series. Games publishers are in the business to make money, not just to panda to the whims of a small group (compared to the whole gaming community) of die hard fans. Therefore they had to bring the franchise up to date and attach it to a game style that sells, and sadly at the moment that is FPS style games.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Times move on. If they had keep Fallout 3 in the same style as the previous two games then no one would have bought it other than the existing fans of the series. Games publishers are in the business to make money, not just to panda to the whims of a small group (compared to the whole gaming community) of die hard fans. Therefore they had to bring the franchise up to date and attach it to a game style that sells, and sadly at the moment that is FPS style games.
    Don't give me ammo man, don't give me ammo!

As for the masses, **** em!
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Just because it has the name of a brand on it it doesn't mean you have to get it immediately.
    Yes it does.

No seriously, I bought Brotherhood of Steel but it definitely wasn't full price. I don't remember exactly where I got it and for how much anymore (probably amazon.co.uk, in which case it was at least less than £18 before VAT as that's what it needs to be under for me to import it duty-free here), but I won't be jumping on Fallout 3 either if its given poor reviews, don't worry. But I will get it if it's only a poor Fallout game but a decent game on its own. I'm not as hung up on that as certain other people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison
    Yep I've played all of those games you mentioned. And yes, it was quite a good game engine. I've always quite liked the dungeon crawler style games. However none can beat Dungeon Siege. I still love that game. Many slated it but I really enjoyed it. Sometimes you don't want to have to solve puzzles, navigate long branching conversations and other aspects of a full RPG, but instead want a more dumbed down Acton RPG where you can just hack and slash your way though masses of enemies, collecting the loot and have fun.
    Exactly. I usually like these kind of games as well. I didn't really get into the first Dungeon Siege, but played the second one and its expansion. They're very good games, no doubt about that. After the news about Diablo 3 broke I decided to give Diablo 2 a playthrough again as well. Last time I did that I didn't have the expansion for it, so finally decided it was time give that one a go again. I don't think I'll try going on battle.net again though. In my opinion that's where the fun stops. If you don't care about owning this months item or using this months character build and just about playing your own game and having fun then you're immediately declared idiot and noob. So I'll just avoid that I think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Harrison,

I spoke with my friend Sander, one of the moderators about this, this is what he responded.

The big fallacy here is that you're assuming that it's *only*FPS games that are selling well, even though the response to Diablo 3's isometric perspective is overwhelming, and the Civilization (isometric, turn-based) games are amongst the best-selling games.
    Moreover, it makes no sense to release a game with a brand that has special meaning to a certain niche, and then make the game not for that niche but for the mainstream market that everyone is already marketing their games to.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    He's right. It doesn't make any sense to keep turning out games based on the same styles and same genres. However all of the big publishers have now done that for a very long time. Just look at The Sims and the FIFA releases!

And at the moment the next big thing is MMOs. But with a further plan in mind. To remove the need for media to deliver games (CDs, DVDs, BR, Carts etc) and instead have the whole lot as online delivered content. That in my view won't work because so many people do not have a fast enough or reliable broadband connection to make it effectively work. But that is M$'s big plan for the next Xbox!

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well here is another load of movies for you all, if this doesn't convince you Fallout 3 is a half assed shooter.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41333.html
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41331.html
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41329.html
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41324.html

BTW, you all do know that the XBox version has been leaked onto the Internet right?
    I even know the plot of Fallout 3 by now and boy, its poor.