Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is because there is currently a number of legal copyright and licence ownership issues with various parts of the Amiga and its OS. If this is ever resolved then hopefully we will see new Amiga One's developed and sold. Sadly however until then we won't see any new ones.

It is mad in my view to be releasing 4.1 for only the A1 as there are so few of them in existence.

As I've said before. They should now ditch the PPC processors and move Amiga OS to Intel hardware. That way anyone with a PC could buy and enjoy Amiga OS 4, and on current technology, rather than hardware which is at least 7 years out of date. The PPC processor is now dead as a desktop CPU.
    Last edited by Harrison; 15th July 2008 at 08:52.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    ..... PPC / OS4.x .....

.... dont even get me started.....
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    PPC is still in development although as Harrison says, not so much as a desktop system these days.
    There are plenty of plus points to PPC so the goal for me would be to carry on developing for this but also x86 series.

As far as I know it's Alan Redhouse who has the license to build AmigaOnes.
    This was contracted to MAI, who have since gone bust.
    I believe he had a lot of trouble with MAI and dodgy boards and didn't make much money if any.

I don't know if it's possible for Alan to transfer his license and for someone to build a board that could be named the AmigaOne.

This might be a way to proceed until the court case is resolved.
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

WTF

I am so confused... Bill McEwen is making empty promises to release a new Amiga. If I could, I would buy the assets to Amiga, Inc. and begin a fresh direction for the company. By the way, when will the new Amiga hardware that is supposedly in development be ready to ship? I want a new Amiga really bad.

Also, I agree that we should move to the Intel architecture. PowerPC has been dead forever and it seems like a waste to develop for it. What would be even cooler is if Amiga were to enter the netbook arena before it becomes oversaturated.
    Last edited by RhapsodyGuru; 23rd July 2008 at 16:51. Reason: New comment

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks like the ACK Controls and Amiga Inc partnership never got post the press announcement, When all the legal wrangling has finished you may be able to get a new Amiga One but other that that is NatAmi which is based around Classic Amigas. TBH i don't think there will ever be any truly new hardware. You may get projects to run Amiga OS on PC's in the same way that Amithlon did but thats going to be about it.

By the way welcome to the group, Hope you have fun.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Harrison

It is not mad to release 4.1, it's essential.
    There are legal issues involving trademark ownership which are often awarded to the side that haven proven usage as apposed to just registered.

There is also the financial element.
    If Hyperion are fighting the court case, we can assume they want to do something with the OS.
    To sell copies of it for other machines if/when they win the court case, they need to keep developing it to keep it modern.

In which case, it makes sense to make some money along the way where possible.
    Nothing is lost selling copies of something they already have.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well still... I am tired of waiting for results. If Amiga, Inc. can get this stupid lawsuit settled out of court faster, I would feel less annoyed. In the meantime, it is gonna be an Amiga A1200 with the BlizzardPPC board for me.

Guru

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They are currently in mediation.
    Could be a stalling tactic by one side or the other mind.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    @Harrison

It is not mad to release 4.1, it's essential.
    There are legal issues involving trademark ownership which are often awarded to the side that haven proven usage as apposed to just registered.

There is also the financial element.
    If Hyperion are fighting the court case, we can assume they want to do something with the OS.
    To sell copies of it for other machines if/when they win the court case, they need to keep developing it to keep it modern.

In which case, it makes sense to make some money along the way where possible.
    Nothing is lost selling copies of something they already have.
    Whilst that is all true, the number of working Amiga One's that are still actively being used by owners can't be that high. How many Amiga One's were actually made to date? I've no idea, but it wasn't that many. Therefore the potential number of sales for an updated release of the OS is going to be minimal at best. A couple of hundred copies maybe?

And no support for classic PPC systems means even less systems able to run it.

Such numbers seems a bit futile in my view.

Yes, continued development of the OS is essential, however it is already many years behind the current OS marketplace and is continuing to fall further backwards all of the time.

The release can only be for the one reason to try and prove it is a viable OS with sales potential in todays market. Somehow to try and prove an argument for the agreement to develop it further.

However the only real market (as I keep saying) is with the Intel compatible PC hardware market. To sell an OS these days you have to be able to get hold of the hardware to run it. PPC processors are getting rarer by the day, whereas Intel processors and all related hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper. For example I could build a complete working PC for much less than the cheapest PPC accelerator card I've seen sell recently(£160).

If we view the Amiga PPC market as remaining just an extension of the existing Amiga range, and therefore remaining as an enthusiasts OS, then sticking with PPC is going to happen as it is staying with the old technology of the Amiga. However if we want the AmigaOS to develop. To support newer technology (USB2, Firewire, SATA, PCI-E, current GPUs, current Soundcards etc) at affordable prices and have an new version of the AmigaOS that delivers the features of a modern OS, then we need to see an Intel version developed.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!