Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Every Full HD panel can do 1080p, also plasma.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know, the point was that there were no Full HD plasma screens at the time. The LCD ones had only been around for a half year or so. I expected that they're available now, but didn't know for sure as after I bought my set I stopped following the developments.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    I know, the point was that there were no Full HD plasma screens at the time. The LCD ones had only been around for a half year or so. I expected that they're available now, but didn't know for sure as after I bought my set I stopped following the developments.
    HD Ready panels could only display 1080p at 50"+ I think, smaller panels could only display 1080i.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Most HD Ready panels can still only show true 720 resolution HD and downscale 1080. It is only sets with Full HD physically shown as a feature that can display 1080 at its true resolution. Plasma was stuck with lower overall pixel dimensions until very recently.

Plasma does have some advantages over LCD such as the fact you don't get abrupt changes in the image between two adjacent pixels. Due to the mature of plasma technology it is always a bit smoother. However that is something you definitely don't want for video games. And Full HD LCD screens now have the total physical pixels needed for a Full HD 1080 resolution image, so in my view they are now my preferred choice because you will see each and every pixel of the Full HD image, whereas with plasma it will always be a slightly softer image.

Until recently only TVs of 50"+ offered full HD, but I've noticed that nearly all of the new 42" sets are now Full HD, and some 32" ones are too.

I was in a store the other day and they had a lot of HD TVs running proper HD broadcasts (most stores still just stick SD broadcasts on their TVs and makes them all look a bit crap). I was especially interesting in seeing how well the smaller sets could handle full HD compared to the larger ones and I was quite impressed. The Samsung, Philips, LG, Panasonic and Sony sets all showed it very nicely on the larger sets and you could clearly see the difference between the Full HD image quality compared to the HD Ready sets that were downscaling the images.

However on the smaller 42" and 32" sets I could still see the difference between the Full HD and the HD Ready sets. Therefore even the smaller Full HD TVs are now worth getting over the HD ready ones because you can see the difference. I would however still see the 42" sets as a minimum for Full HD if you were watching films a lot. But in smaller rooms a 42" is still quite large, so a 32" set is going to be a much better option, and a 32" Full HD set is still going to offer more than any HD ready TV can.

I've seriously been considering HDTVs lately and due to the size of the living room and the location of the TV the maximum size would be 42", but I think a 32" set might be better. Will have to measure up and consider it properly once I can afford one.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd recommend 42" any day!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
    I'd recommend 42" any day!
    Too easy!!!!
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
    I have to interject here with a ... well i dont know what to call it...
    I have yet to see an LCD keep up with the colour / vibrance and lumi of my Plasma.
    I've always thought plamas looked better than LCD for TV viewing, even when LCDs were capable of much higher resolutions. It's the way things move on LCDs that doesn't quite sit right with me. But at the end of the day it's personal taste/preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I still have my 37" Panasonic VIERA plasma TV, which I bought 2½ years ago and paid 3.800€ (~2.500£). And I still think that Panasonic are making the best plasma panels, their latest ones are now already in the 11th generation (mine's still generation 8), and what I've seen so far yet, I haven't seen better. Of cause their panels are not the cheapest, but I'd rather buy quality than anything else. I've also heard some good things about Sony and Samsung panels, but it seems that Samsung has better LCD panels than plasma.
    We've got a 37" Panasonic plasma too. It's a.. um *checks* PX600 from 2ish years ago. I love it . It's not a 1080 set (but can accept 1080 signals and downgrade them to fit) but I run my stuff at 720p anyway and it looks marvellous.

As for 400GB BDs being good for games. Don't you feel games take long enough to make and are costly enough already? Having to cram in hours of superHD prerenders, textures etc etc will really push this up. Also, what're the 'seek times' and data transfer rates like with a disc like that?

I maintain that DVDs are a long way off dead. They will be surpassed, but it's going to take time. And I'm sure we've been round this track before.....

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a similar situation to VHS. When DVD came in everyone knew they were better and much easier to use than VHS. However as everyone already owns a VCR initial DVD sales were very slow. I think the same will be true of BluRay. Everyone has a DVD player. However the difference is that DVD and BR basically work in the same way so there are no instant usability benefits in buying into the new format, unlike the move from VHS to DVD where instant access, no rewinding, no degradation of image quality, much smaller compared to tapes etc were all big plus points.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some films are already cheaper on Blu-Ray than on DVD, that shows that they're pointing in the right direction.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really? That is good to know. To be honest I've not been looking at the prices of current DVD or BR releases. I tend to buy DVDs when they have been out a few months. The local Supermarkets often then have then for sale for £3-5.