Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Life's a drag

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is the reason for joining something social such as a sport. That way you don't need to know anyone when you first begin. You will get to know them as you continue to take part.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your feeling low, it's because you have the time to dwell on it.
    That is true. I find when I am doing an activity which I am enjoying and takes a good amount of time I don't feel as bad.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi guys,

Well I haven't been busy yet with any other activities but I just finished Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake again.

"Yeez, he is playing games again."

Yeah, but I really like this game and it had been long enough since I last played to enjoy it again.
    In my opinion Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake is one of the most fun old school games, and I think even new gamers will enjoy it when they put their "OMG the graphics are awfuk and its not 3D" attitude aside as MG2SS compensate well in other fields.

Actually, I think its the best and most playable of the Metal Gear series, that includes Metal Gear Solid 4.
    Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome, but most of the focus is on the cut scenes and not the gameplay and once in a while you simply want to play a game, not play an interactive movie (which I kind of did before with Snatcher, awesome game too)

Harrison, may I post a link to a emulated MSX version for those people who do not have MGS3 Subsistence.
    Don't worry, it is abandonware.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Abandonware doesn't automatically mean that the original developers are OK about it being on sites for download. Only if the original developers have stated a game's status has been changed to freeware can it legally be hosted for download. Is that the case?

If so then sure, post a link in the relevant off topic forum.

I think most of us here would agree with you regarding retro games. Just because the graphics are 2D, or primitive 3D, does not make a game any less playable, enjoyable, or good. A more recent example of this is Final Fantasy VII. It is still the most popular game from that series, even though the 3D graphics used are now quite dated compared to the last few games in the series. However people still return to it and play it these days.

Competent Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think strictly speaking, legally, abandonware doesn't actually exist. It doesn't mean anything.
    I've lost my smile again...

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, the term abandonware was invented by those wishing to host old games as sone way to try and justify it. The term itself has no legal standing because copyright on games can still be held with them for I think it is 75 years, so only if the current owner of the games have stated that they are now freeware can people openly provide them for non profit download.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay okay people, I get the message.
    As of now I will no longer use the word 'abandonware' in anything dealing with games (you gits).

Anyway, here is the link;

Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake

On a side not, yet another copy of Snatcher has escaped me, dammit!!!!!!
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    That is the reason for joining something social such as a sport. That way you don't need to know anyone when you first begin. You will get to know them as you continue to take part.
    Only problem with that is that i don't know of anything that i could join that I would enjoy. Then theres the fact that most people tend to dislike me before they've even met me for some reason.

As for abandonware, I can't really see much problem with linking to abandonware software if it is not possible to contact the author, and especially if it would be difficult to obtain otherwise, but if you can contact the author, then it is always best to find out first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well try basketball or tennis, or you can also do things like Chess or Checkers.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    Theres the fact that most people tend to dislike me before they've even met me for some reason.
    It's you're dashing good looks that puts people off. They're all jealous of you.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD