Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Amiga Project (heavy images)

I'm starting a project to use my spare A1200 board (repaird) with roms 3.0 and as i've promissed to Zetr0 some hardware PrOn here it goes:

My A1200 Rev1b with 3,3v lane repaird:

Next will use an old VCR Case witch i'v already remoded the insides and only need to make front panel and back panel (any recomendation on the material to use?) :

Will use a mini Atx PSU with 170w witch will be fitted inside the case so i'm considering to adapt a molex conection on the motherboard to leave the psu intact, only need to bring to a switch in front of the case the PSU ON/OFF :

Here is the system monted with a PC AT Keyboard Adapter (and a PC Keyboard ), using a chinon drive from my A600 to test, and using my A1200 170w PSU.

Next is the system mounted with a PC floppy adapter (only need to use a pc fllopy drive set to DF0 and it reads all disks including State of the art Demo with requires high compatibility with amiga drives) the drive used is a Mitsumi D359T5 :

Running State Of The Art:

Next Some pictures of the adapters used:

And for now thats it, will trie to update the post with pictures of the case modding (probably will paint the case to match the keyboard)

Final Specs will be:

- A1200 Board Rev 1B 2 MB Chip Ram
    - 3.0 Roms 39.106
    - 4MB Fast Ram Expansion
    - Ide Cable 2,5' -> 2x 3,5'
    - Asus 50x CDRom
    - Seagate 3,5' 6,5gb HD
    - Mitsumi D359T5 Floppy (adapted)
    - PC Keyboard (Adapted)

- OS 3.1 ; WHDLoad

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice project. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

This project is very close to something Zetr0 mentioned on EAB about using a CDTV case and putting an A1200 mobo inside.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great Pedro!!

Keep us up dated about that project!
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @JLPedro

Thats pretty awesome !!!

hmmm fabricating the back and front...

well the back I would use stiff cardboard and mark out all that i need on the rear, size etc... and then once you have that (including cut outs) you have two options...

make it yourself or pop-into a engineering workshop and see if they would do if for a bit of dinero

Personally i would have it made from 15 to 20 guage steel, as its relatively robust and around 2mm thick

However you could use plexi case, but for the level of regidity I would recomend atleast 4mm thick.

as you can see at that thickness it can start swamping the ports, making it difficult to plug stuff in.

--------------------

manufacturing the front, and fabbing stuff.... there is no substitue for style and expoxy putty... and a lot of sanding and filing....

I start by making a regid housing / mounting and look at making ascetic changes after...

use stiff card for getting the shape of pieces, from this cosmetic shapes can be fabricated from 1 to 1.5mm plastic (like CD jewel cases)

I really am looking forward to seeing more of this project

Keep up the good work
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's some pictures of some changes i've managed to make on my free time (this will take a while to complete LOL) :

Conected to the motherboard a molex conection to link to the mini atx psu without having to waste a amiga psu cable:

An early version of the front panel (planing to put a Amiga Logo and the floppy, power and HD Leds, still didn't buy the epoxy putty, so i've tapped the holes just to make an idea):

And the inside of the case (still alot of work to be done, removing the extra plastics, liming the edges and making the support to the motherboard and drives, don't know if the mini atx psu will fit inside the case, maybe removing the casing and just put the psu pcb and cables:

Didn't started on the back panel yet...
    Last edited by JLPedro; 5th July 2008 at 23:10.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @JLPedro

its comming along quite nicely indeed

heres some luscious linkies.... delivered to your door...

Some Metal Epoxy & Acrylic Epoxy

I have several tubes of both, and rate them very HIGH on the much needed Hacking Tool Box
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Posting some (small) progress on this project (not mutch free time...), so here it goes:

Preview (photo manipulated to cover holes...) of the front cover with slim dvd-rom and floppy drive, planing on making an amiga logo sticker from the image on the case, and manage to put the leds on the position shown (anyone knows if i can replace the original panel with simple leds? of what kind? will trie to read the voltages from the board pins):

The inside layout (mini atx psu missing (in use), will be stripped from case, only pcb of the psu and cables will be put in the case, slim dvd-rom already as the jae 50 pin adapter to ide, and a 4mb fast ram expantion!:

Close detail:

Still dont know what to do with back panel, probably will use a aluminium plate (easy to cut) to fill the remaining openings, and have to fix the motherboad bottom shield to the case, raising it a bit (future blizzard 030? dreaming...)

And the cover of the case almost finished polishing it and ready for primary. the intire case (front, case and back) will be painted first with primary and finaly with a opaque white (close to the A1200 case). :

Will be on vacations on 29 september so probaly will finish this then.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back with this project, witch may be called a "new" project as i dumped the VCR case idea and turned to a full old ATX (things with epoxy didn't work very well...), so here are the images from the current state of the project, some few things missing, like finishing the back (thinking filling the gaps with a thin metal sheets, and then cover everything with black velvet auto adhesive paper), missing a hole to attach the AT keyboard connector from the adapter on the back, missing a floppy case cover (don't know here i kept it but I'm sure is somewhere), and still have to finish the right case cover. Will paint the hole case again to obtain a perfect white and cover some irregularities .

Here it is :

Front Picture:

Amiga Custom Logo:

4MB Card and 170w Mini ATX PSU:

Back panel, still some work to do:

Bottom inside, custom Power Cable (Cutesy of Ultrareliable):

Full Picture off the inside case:

And a perspective photo of the case with the left panel fitted:

Will be the next weak on the beach, so only after returning home i will finish the case and mount the CD-ROM and Keyboard (and then the leds to the front panel of the case)