I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Phishing Attacks

Don't know whats going on but in the past 2 days i've had 4 attempts at phishing for NatWest bank. I know it's phishing as i don't own a Natwest account. So beware.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Meh, I almost have it daily, banks, credit cards, Paypal, I eliminate them as I see them.

What I find annoying is all those damn webcam people that keep appearing on my Messenger.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is usually obvious whether something is phishing or not. It often doesn't even need much thinking about. It is just obvious.

Would people trust these more if they were letters sent in the post? I just thought that I get tons of spam etc, but all the letters I get from banks etc are (or should be) genuine. As things like bank statements and other corrispondance are sent in the post, it would usually be impossible for them to suddenly start emailing you, but if the phiers sent you a letter saying the NatWest needs to confirm that the bank details you have are the same as theirs...

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have noticed a big increase recently in the amount of phising mail getting through the various spam filters that are in place. Mind you the amount that gets caught in the spam filter has also increased, so I guess %-wise it's probably catching about the same.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had the Natwest ones, and Royal Bank of Scotland ones nearly every day for a long time.

Outlook 2003's built in spam filtering wasn't catching them, but I downloaded a spam filter update the other week and it now catches them all, plus nearly everything else I was getting in the inbox. Very impressed.

I could set my email server's spam filter to catch more, but then I find it starts to also catch some emails I want so I leave that on default settings and it catches most of the spam, and then the local Outlook scanner catches the rest.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Gmails built in spam filter, and I have done for about 4 years now. I find it very good. It was only when I first used it that it filtered a few genuine emails. Hasn't done since as far as I can tell.