ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Amiga PSU

Hi guys,

I've purchased an Amiga 600 which I'm now enjoying. Have installed a CF-adapter with a 1GB card, along with a card reader in the PCMCIA slot from Amigakit. Have also upgraded it with 1MB of extra chip memory.

The problem is that the machine came with an English PSU, which is totally unusable without an adapter here in Norway.

Therefore I was wondering if any of you in the UK are in the need of a PSU? If yes, please give me a sign and we can work something out. I would rather someone that can make use for it get it than to have it gathering dust here.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it a standard A600 PSU? If so then they are not really powerful enough to power anything other an an A600.

Wouldn't you rather keep it as a backup?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could just chop the plug off and put a norwegian plug on.

What kind of plugs do you use in norway?

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi,

Here's a link to a page that has information on Norwegian power plugs.

The PSU is good for 3.0A.

I'm not that confident when it comes to stuff like that. Is it hard putting on a Norwegian plug?

Anyway, already have two PSU's, so I think I have enough for the moment.

Please give me a sign if you want it.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P G View Post
    Is it hard putting on a Norwegian plug?
    Not sure about Euro plugs, but wit UK plugs, unless they are the pre-moulded type we can just unscrew them to take the plug apart and then there are three screws holding the three wires (live, neutral and ground) in place.

So if we were changing a plug from a moulded europlug to a UK plug we would just cut the cable, then strip back the three wires to expose some of the copper wire, then feed the cable into a new plug, screw the three wires into position then screw the pug back together.

I think it is one of the first things we are taught in schools to do with electrics.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, that doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for the info. I don't know if the Norwegian cables are similar though, but I can always chop off another cable to check this.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think we are generally more clued up in the UK with taking plugs apart because our plugs are fused, so if the fuse blows we need to take them apart in order to replace them. I think we have the only plugs in the world that are fused. Is that correct? This means we have double safety because both the plugs are fused and the mains unit has breakers in place to trip the ring circuits. Also all of our sockets and most plugs are grounded as standard. Much safer than those two prong plugs most of the US plugs use.

Am I also right in thinking that most other countries don't use ring circuits in houses? Instead using a spur system (where each socket is connected in series to the next, with them all coming from a single connection from the mains unit?

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Harrison. You're showing your age. And mine. Nowadays as plugs have to be formed plastic (Due to EU regulations)so basic Electrics such as changing a plug are no longer taught in schools so the latest generation of kids may be able to hack into the MOD or NHS they can no longer change a fuse or attatch a plug they just buy a new appliance or call out a sparky.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    @ Harrison. You're showing your age. And mine. Nowadays as plugs have to be formed plastic (Due to EU regulations)so basic Electrics such as changing a plug are no longer taught in schools so the latest generation of kids may be able to hack into the MOD or NHS they can no longer change a fuse or attatch a plug they just buy a new appliance or call out a sparky.
    Really? When I was in school about 5 years or so ago, it was still taught then as part of the 4th form physics. Mind you that course has been changed completely a few years back. Everything relates to the environment now.

Going off-topic for a minute, I was shown an answer that a pupil had given to a question on global warming (one of the few 'free-form' questions nowadays where you can write a few paragraphs rather than one word answers). It seemed to answer the question pretty well, and backed up his thinking with sound scientific reasons, so I said that it was an 'A' or 'B' grade answer. When I was shown the marks though, he got a mark for quality of written communications (the grammar quality) and nothing else, because he'd written from the viewpoint that global warming was not caused by man (but still had answered the question quite legitimately in my opinion). According to the mark scheme there is no room for debate or alternative viewpoints anymore, the kids just get brainwashed into believing what the government wants them to. No wonder people are complaining the kids of today are thick, when anyone showing enough intelligence to come up with and backup a viewpoint that's a little bit different is shot down.

Don't think for yourselves, we're going to tell you what to believe.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is definitely becoming like that. Look at the discussion Steve started the other day about the ICT tests and the link he gave to the PC Pro article about it. Some of those questions were marked based on the inclusion of specific key words. So the kids are not even allowed to describe something using their own words either.