Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    I was on about the quality of it, not the usage.
    For the majority of uses anything only needs to be good enough quality to be usable. Youtube video is not designed to be kept and therefore can be acceptable as low quality throw away files.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    It was a bad example to use as you couldn't really compare a standalone video tape to the youtube service. They are completely different. One is standalone. The other is networked distribution.
    Fair point, but let's assume the video Steve made intended for a wide audience.

The linking method requires someone to be given the link rather than just being able to come across it by a search. Streaming is also (for most users) more convenient than downloading - put this way, my parents can use Youtube fine but struggle with downloads (how do I know it's not a virus etc.?)
    That all depends on whether you want someone to come accross it by searching. That might not be the intention. e.g. If I had made a video which is only intended to be viewed by members of this site, it wouldn't be neccesary for it to be searchable.

Theres no reason why it can't be streamed, but forcing users to watch it like that (be it a 'throwaway' video, or something worth keeping) is not good. What if you want to watch it twice, or want to keep it for later? Having the option of both is always better. I usually like to download videos where possible just to avoid problems when streaming it, like the video playing faster than it can download it.

For the majority of uses anything only needs to be good enough quality to be usable.
    Then why are so many people getting DVD recorders and HDTV when VHS and a 405 line black and white set are more than usable?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    For the majority of uses anything only needs to be good enough quality to be usable.
    Then why are so many people getting DVD recorders and HDTV when VHS and a 405 line black and white set are more than usable?
    You are comparing two completely different things. Online streaming video and offline recorded video are separate and completely different technologies aimed at completely different markets.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, you did say 'anything'

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    compromise between quality and convenience.
    QFT

I find the most anything thing about navigating a solely flash-based website is you can't send someone a link to the exact page, instead you have to tell them to click here, then there, this this option, then that one.... BAH

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem with Flash is like any technology. When it was new it brought the kind of interactivity to websites that was just not possible before. So everyone jumped on board and created complete websites using it without realising they didn't actually need it. It happens when anything new comes along, or when someone uses something for the first time.

Look at Facebook for example. What is the first thing people do when they create their own page on there? They start looking through all of the available applications and installing loads, then sending annoying invitations to everyone else they know on there. A few weeks later they then start to get annoyed with all the junk they have in their profiles and start to remove it all again.

It is the novelty factor.

With most things you try out every function first before you then start to use it, and probably then won't use half of the features you messed around with to begin with.

Completely flash based sites are become much rarer these days. In the beginning nearly every other site you visited in the late 90's had some elements of flash within it. These days technology has moved on any true programming has replaced flash for a lot of uses. javascript and ajax technology especially. They offer seamless partial page updating and retreival without the need for page refreshes and simple user interaction.

Flash was initially in your face brash design, American style, whereas now we are finally at the point of smart clean design with interactivity being more seamless and it happening without the user really realising.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I told the professor that there would be side effects of trying to use the quantum wormhole generator to generate a wormhole into the past but he simply wouldn't listen.

I guess we deal with the reversed 'hourglass' effect now, everything that involves human hands is reversing; innovations, politics, games
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It all started with 'just' that jump to the left.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So long as we're not Quantumn Leaping who cares.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    So long as we're not Quantumn Leaping who cares.
    Says you, I have been stuck in the body of a Dutch man for 28 years, someone help me, please!
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]