Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

How you treat your hardware and software

I've known a lot of people who buy a computer or console because it is the current popular one to have. But then when the next generation is released they move on and discard the previous system, not giving it any more thought.

They also don't treat the hardware or software they own with any respect. The hardware is normally marked and damaged, and the games are often missing their cases and/or manuals and the actual media is scratched or battered. They have no interest in preserving the gaming hardware/software they own in any way, using it for the time it remains working and then getting rid of it and moving on. And it seems this is the majority of gamers out there from my observations.

I'm not like that at all. I buy hardware after careful consideration and because I've wanted it for some time, having normally in the past saved up for some time before being able to afford it. I then treat it will the utmost respect and most of my hardware looks the same as the day I purchased it. Likewise my software is all still in as good condition as possible. All still in its original boxes with manuals and all support material still present and in perfect condition. I do however use it and play the games just as much as anyone else. I just treat everything with a lot more respect.

I also always buy things with the intention of keeping them. Never have I really considered parting with any of my gaming and hardware collections as they all have such fond memories attached and I still like to fire them up from time to time to experience some of them again. Emulation is never going to be quite the same.

And going by everyone I've known over the years it seems most people treat everything they own in the same way. Take audio CDs for example. I always treat them in the same way. Handling the edges and not the disc surface, cleaning them if they do get dirty. Always making sure they are returned to their original case when not in use. But most people seem to just chuck their music CDs where ever, with or without the case, scratching them up and not really caring.

The problem I have with this is that when I lend anyone anything I own I expect them to treat it with the same care I do, but sadly this rarely happens. Lending someone a computer game and eventually receiving it back with the case cracked, the manual stained or crumpled up, or the game disc scratched up really pisses me off and that person never gets lend anything again.

The worst I member though was years ago a friend needed a copy of Windows 98 to reinstall his PC. So I lent him one of my copies and included the manual because it had the serial number on it that was needed to install the OS. Eventually a few months later he was moving house and I was helping him and he found the Windows 98 install CD and casually said Oh, this was yours. here you go" and handed it to me. The disc was loose and scratched up badly. It wasn't in it's original CD case and the manual with serial number was missing. He had no idea where it was and didn't really care.

So how do you treat your hardware and software? And what do you think of how others treat theirs?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I generally treat my old equipment and software quite well. I say 'generally', because I'm quite selective in that regard. PC software, I tend to chuck everywhere, and the hardware is just discarded when I upgrade.

For consoles, I tend to keep them nicely tucked away somewhere, and the games I keep in boxes or on the bookshelf.

The Amigas, of course, get special treatment, simply because they've given me the fondest computing memories.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, i have a different version of hardware care.

Before 1998 i never had any money at all, so every computer i bought i had to sold the previous to get some money.
    to get the A500 i sold the Spectrum
    to get the A600HD i sold the A500
    to get a PC486 i sold the A600HD (i will never forgive myself)
    to get a Pentium i sold the 486
    and so on...

The only thing i was able to keep was after i start working and start receiving some money:
    PS2 i was allready working and getting my own money
    Spectrum 48K i receive it as a present and i never sold again it like the old one
    A1200 that i bought last year
    A500 - A600 - A1200

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know exactly where you're coming from – I feel and act the same way towards my stuff and always respect others with maximum care.

I can't understand why people disrespect their own and other people's property. Their own it's up to them, but there is no excuse to treat someone else's belongings so carelessly and without thought. The annoying thing is,as you said, people brush the issue aside as if it's nothing, and you are the one being unreasonable by being so fussy and protective over your stuff. Unbelievable.

The majority of people do have a wasteful mentality, having a kind of disposable attitude and being carefree about most things. I think it comes from being spoiled as a child combined with being brought up in a privileged western society allowing us to take things for granted - never having to cherish items that in some parts of the world are impossible to come by or afford. The marketing "buy now" culture where newer is always better adds to this attitude I'm sure.

I'm very grateful and happy for my stuff, using it until I'm forced to replace it for a good reason so I look after it with due care. This attitude is in the minority however. For instance, I'm still on single core CPUs because I have no reason to get dual core given my computer usage patterns. Everywhere you look we're being told to upgrade, but my well looked after PCs are still doing the job so why create waste?
    Last edited by Bloodwych; 14th May 2008 at 18:28.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't understand the mentality of some people.
    Surely they must have wanted the equipment and therefore presumably enjoyed it?
    Why mistreat it later on down the line?

To not look after the property of others is just plain disrespectful.

Never lend books to anyone anymore because too many people like to really go to town with the damage on them.
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing I used to really hate regarding books was when lending a reference book to someone and you see them licking their finger to turn the pages! Why do people do that?

I loved the bit in that film "Name of the Rose" where the corners of the book were impregnated with poison, so that when the reading licked their finger and turned the pages it was game over!

Another regarding books is bending the spine backwards or creasing the pages.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always try to be careful with stuff, but I usually tend to get stuff that doesn't need to be taken care of too much. e.g. CRT monitors, stuff that isn't shiny, stuff that isn't flimsy.

It is hard to be careful with CDs. I don't mind minor damage as they are bound to get a bit scratched eventually but if the CD belonged to someone else I would be more careful with it. Alot of my old tapes (VHS and audio) are in much better condition than alot of my CDs.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Another regarding books is bending the spine backwards or creasing the pages.

Heh ... just read that bit, and I have to admit I'm quite obsessed with keeping my books (the few that I have anyway) in pristine shape. I absolutely HATE it when people borrow my books and ruin them in the way you describe.

You should see me reading a paperback - I open them up only a tiny bit, just enough to be able to read the text, for fear of ruining the spine!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know where you are coming from and don't lend things to people because they don't take proper care of things. The problem is, we live in a disposable society. People who buy an XBOX 360 only want it until the next model comes out and then it will end up on Ebay. My original A500 is mint and although it has been taken care of had developed a fault with the keyboard-it's just a case electronics failing with time.

I bought a NES, Mega Drive and CD32 from Ebay and always try to buy the consoles and games in as good condition as I can. My Wii is like the day it was opened as are all the games and paperwork. I even have plastic Nintendo storage boxes for the NES game carts and keep the boxes empty to cut down on wear and tear.