Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have an MP3 player?

Which model? Do you take it with you everyday? What kind of music do you usually play with it when outside?

I have a flash-based player from Sony, 2GB of storage.

As shown, it's basically shaped like any USB stick. The thing I like most about this particular model is that you don't require any proprietary software to upload music to the device. You just plug in the thing into a USB port, wait for your OS to recognise the device, and simply drag and drop the files. This works very well, except for the fact that the transfer speed isn't too hot.

As for the sound quality, it's quite good. Certainly not as tinny and hollow-sounding as most portable media players I've heard.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
    The thing I like most about this particular model is that you don't require any proprietary software to upload music to the device. You just plug in the thing into a USB port, wait for your OS to recognise the device, and simply drag and drop the files. This works very well...
    This is exactly what I like. Plug and play functionality. And this is why i hate the iPod range so much as it forces you to use iTunes.

I still have a Creative Zen 60GB MP3 player that I bought quite a long time ago. It still works fine but is now very chunky and quite heavy compared to current MP3 players. I tend to mainly use it in the car as it can hold so much music (good for long journeys) compared to my car's CD changer. Creative did also force you to use their own software to access and copy mp3 files, but at the time this was how all mp3 players worked. But I got hold of some software from a company called Red Chair Software that allows you to directly access the player and copy files across.

I'm glad this has changed for a lot of makes now as it also makes it much easier and hassle free to share songs between different systems and with friends as you can just plug your mp3 player into a pc and access the contents.

My girlfriend has the newest iPod Nano, and while it is very nice technologically I still hate the fact it still needs to use itunes which is not user friendly at all. But I also find the menu system on iPods quite fiddly as you need to jump up and down menus to find stuff.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My girlfriend has an MP3-player. It's a few years old, but works like a dream. Never experienced any problems with it. As has been mentioned above, it's plug and play all the way, without worrying about software.

I mostly use the device when I'm working out, and sometimes when I'm doing the dishes.

Competent Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Samsung MP3 player, again it's 2GB and it's quite similar to that Sony one in many ways. Except it's black

It's great, I take it everywhere with me. Probably going to go deaf sometime soon
    I've lost my smile again...

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You like the music loud?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Regarding mp3 players sounding tinny and hollow sounding. This is mostly down to them being supplied with cheap headphones. iPod headphones are some of the worst I've encountered for example.

So getting a decent set of headphones is a must and the sound difference can be amazing. For some in the ear ones I recommend Sennheiser MX500 (there might be a newer model out now). They sound really good and come in a handly case that you can wind the cable into for easy non tangle storage.

Or for bigger full headphones I again recommend Sennheiser, and this time the PX100. These are full headband style ones and have really good bass reproduction, and yet are lightweight and fold down into a case about the size of a glasses case, so are still very portable.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I've been considering getting a nice pair of headphones. Sennheiser is a great brand, no arguments there. I've been hearing very good things about Shure and Etymotic too. They make in-ear headphones that are supposed to sound superb. Expensive, though ... and probably the one-way-ticket to becoming deaf

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My girlfriend have me one 256mb last year. Small capacity, but works fine!
    i usually use it to listen music in my way to work.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, and no plans to get one, but if I did, it would have to be one of those with big (preferably HD) storage. The reason for this is that you can store alot of music on it.

With my tape and CD () players, I can store as much as I like on tapes and CDs, and just change them when i like. This is dead easy. It would be a similar case with a small MP3 player, but changing the music would be awakwardas I would have to get it onto the computer, and transfer it to the player via the computer.

But obviously this isn't a problem with big ones as the music can be left there permanently while new music is added, rather than having to change it.

Do most HD based Mp3 players have removable HDs these days, so you can put a bigger one in, and also do they have FM/AM radios and removable batteries?

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
    It's great, I take it everywhere with me. Probably going to go deaf sometime soon
    WHUT?????

I have a cheap shit 128mb one that can hold one Album on hardly ever use it but then i very rarely listen to music unless i'm forced to go on pubic transport (By the way that's a deliberate misspelling).
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD