Hybrid View

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Problem with CBR and CBZ files

Hello,

A couple of days ago I downloaded a couple of CBR and CBZ files and by changing their name to RAR or ZIP I could open them.
    But now every time I try to open the name of the file, I get the name but not the file type anymore, this I can't change the name.

As far as I remember I haven't changed any settings, could someone help me?
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You mean the file extensions are now hidden when you look at the files? If so then this is just as setting in Windows you can easily change. Open any folder on your PC and going to the Tools/Folder menu option. Select the View tab and then scroll down and find the option "Hide extensions for known file types" and untick it, then click Apply and then OK. You should now be able to see them again.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harrison,

I do see the file extension but I can't alter them any more.

Edit:

I spoke to soon, thank you so very much.
    Because my windows is Dutch I had to search for a while but I found the menu
    All that is left is the question how this happened in the first place.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure. It is the default way windows is setup when it is first installed so maybe something reset it back to how it was originally.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the first things I disable after a fresh install. And also one of the first things I turn off on a computer illiterate friend's computer and explain what are and how they work. In my opinion, Microsoft isn't doing anyone any favours by having this function on by default.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This feature was only ever added to Windows to try and make it look like it worked in a similar way to Mac OS, where files are identified by their icon and the names can be whatever you like. But hiding the extensions just really annoys me and definitely limits functionality. So often I repair a PC for someone and they still have them hidden, and are really confused when I try to talk them through how to do something, but they can't because they don't even know what a file extension is.