Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCTV

Question CCTV

Just wondering if anyone has a CCTV camera on the outside of their house and if you've any recommendations? Wireless ones start at £55 including the receiver, so you can watch someone smashing your backdoor window on your TV, from the comfort of your own bed.

Am thinking of getting a camera over the back door as a deterrent against burglars.

I will leave you with a small quote from Withnail and I:
    "I mean to have you, boy, even if it must be burglary!"

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are thinking of using CCTV as a deterent then why not use an empty shell. It's cheaper. Either way any determined burgler is just going to ignore the CCTV as they will be waring some form of hood or cap to hide their faces and if it's to stop the hoodies and chavs then all they'll do is smash the camera so you'll have to spend fortunes on replacements. On top of that sometimes by placing a camera on your house you unwittingly antagonise people and then can start a neighboorhood war.
    There's too much fear and paranoia in this world, don't buy into it by getting CCTV, vote for someone who promises to get more police on the streets and get rid of some of the stupid rights given to offenders.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Having more police on the streets will not help protect my children in the few minutes it will take for someone to break in and get upstairs to them at 3am. I want a camera so if I hear something, I can immediately check the house without alerting them. Also I can sit at the top of the stairs with a cricket bat

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    But then most burglars will only go into unoccupied rooms like the living room or kitchen. If they go into bedrooms it's usually only when the house is empty so you won't be there to use the CCTV and it'll probably get knicked anyway. Besides ou getting put away for beating the crap out of an intruder is hardly going to protect your kids is it?
    The honest law abiding citizens need to stop being scared and claim the streets back. This can only be done by getting more police patrolling the streets and reducing the the "human rights" allowed to criminals.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would also say it isn't the best idea to place security cameras on your house as it will make people think there is something worth breaking into the house for.

If I were going to add some to my house I would look at ways to hide the camera completely from view, so you can still observe without attracting any attention.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about some kind of miniture camera which you could hide in the window or something, then run a small wire to the television?

I would think that that would be better than a proper CCTV camera for a house.

Does your area have a high crime rate?

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I lived at home we had a fake one (just a shell) and it looked gash. Still, we never got broken into. But then we probably wouldn't even without the obviously fake camera.

If someone is breaking into your house you are allowed by law to use reasonable force to deter them. Whacking them multiple times round the back of the head would be excessive, but a good clout or two should be fine. Or get a big ****ing dog*.

*As in, a dig that is ****ing big, not a dog that likes to.... eh, nevermind.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mind you if someone breaks in and sees you ****ing a big dog then i'm sure they'll quickly leave.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, but that's going to be a tiring way of keeping your property safe all night long, every day just on the off chance an intruder comes in and gets freaked out.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Easier to just film it the once and then project the video onto a wall, looping all night long.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!