Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Obviously you do have to remember that even with the tutorials I've written, you can still only install games to HD if you can access the disk's contents from Workbench. If the disk displays as an NDOS disk then the only way to install to HD is by using WHDLoad.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both of the Goal disks are NDOS disks.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello ,

both of the Goal disks are NDOS , but i can acess from workbench to the content of the two disks by extracting all the files with "Dino Dini files system " tool...so if we can do that wouldn't it be possible to install to hdd ?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is interesting. If you can extract all of the files with that tool then it might be possible to make the game load from hd.

A quick simple guide to manually getting a game to run from hd is as follows:

1. create a directory (folder) on your Amiga HD for the game
    2. copy all of the files for the game into this directory
    3. Create a script and icon to launch the game.

Now this final step is the hardest part. First you need to work out which file is used to load the game. You can do this with trial and error by trying to run different files that came with the game until one begins to load the game.

Once you know which file is used to launch the game you can then create a script to do this. This script will do two things. First it will setup some assigns so that the names of the original game's disks point to the correct location on your HD. This way the game will know where to look for files. And secondly we will load the game.

As an example lets say that your game is Blobs, and that the game can be started using the file called Blobs, and the game comes on two disks called Blobs1 and Blobs2. We first need to create a new text file to make our script by pressing right-amiga+E and then typing ed

Now in the script we would add:

c:assign Blobs1: ""
    c:assign Blobs2: ""
    Blobs

note: you can add assigns to the main workbench s:startup-sequence or s:user-startup files, but as they are only ever needed when you want to load the game it is a much better method to set them up in this script so they are only added to the system when needed. Using the method as shown here, using a specific startup script for each game, and locating this script in the game's main directory, the directory can be located anywhere you like on the HD without needing to re-edit this script with the game's location on the HD.

Then we save the script file, giving it whatever name you would like. In this example we could use run-blobs and save it in the directory with all of the game files.

Next you need to create an icon for use with the game's script that when clicked on will load it. Once that is done you need to save the icon with the same name as your script, and the file extension .info So for example if you named you script run-blobs, then you would name the icon run-blobs.info And after using the window/update menu option you should now see the icon attached to your script file.

Finally you need to edit the icon and add c:iconx as the icon's default tool.

And that should be it. If you have setup the assigns correctly and you have the correct command to load the game setup in your script file then double clicking on the icon should now load and run the game.

I hope this quick guide helps you out. Ask if you have any more questions.

As I said before, a more detailed guide running through this process will be on the main site once I have time to finish it. It will contain screenshots showing the process in more detail by using the installation of a game to HD as an example.
    Last edited by Harrison; 6th May 2008 at 08:39.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you very much,

I try that and i say you !!!

Hello , i couldn't find the file that launch the game , could you have a look ?

http://rapidshare.com/files/113031619/GOAL1.rar.html
    Thanks in advance !!
    Last edited by lolafg; 6th May 2008 at 18:39.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Up

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK. I will take a look when I get back in later tonight for you.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Harrison

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello ,

I have a Goal HD version that works without whdload , but i hadn't still enough memory so i bought a 4mb pcmcia sram card.

If you are interested i can upload this version of Goal (it is the first version without cups).

@Harrison , if you could have a look on it perhaps we could have the version with cups...

So say me if you want i upload this one .

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure. I will have a look and see if I can work out how the HD version is working so we can try and get the other version to run from HD.