Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you playing the game using emulation or a real Amiga? I have a tutorial for HD install that I created a few years ago for the original classicamiga site, and can upload it for you onto the current site tomorrow.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks man, but I figured it out! I am using WinUAE, emulator. I created a hard drive, and installed my games! Night and Day! Superfast! One question though, since I was quite far along in the games, how do I get the new Hard Drived installed version to "see" or "recognize" my save game file on my floppy? I have tried everthing I can think of, but when running the hard drive version, it saves somewhere on the hard drive, even if I have the correct floppy in DF0. I have looked thru the files and can find no save game data from within Workbench. I'm stumped.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's great to hear. It's fairly easy to install games to HD on the Amiga as you have discovered.

You can also install a lot that don't come with an installer. If you can see the files in Workbench then you should be able to install them manually. Just create a new directory for the game on the HD, copy the contents of the disks across to the HD, and then edit the s:startup-sequence file on the HD and add some assign commands to the file to point the name of the original game's disks to the location of the files on the HD.

And for games you cannot see in Workbench and that don't come with an installer you can use something called WHDLoad which is a program that allows you to install games that were originally not HD installable. People write installers for specific games for WHDload and you then use these to install the games. Look at http://www.whdload.de/ for more on this if you are interested. And if you do want to investigate this further let me know as there are some other sites I can let you know about that provide much more.

As for save game files, have you selected "show all files" in Workbench for the directories/floppy disks you think the save games should be in? Often the files won't have an icon so you won't see them otherwise.

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    As for save game files, have you selected "show all files" in Workbench for the directories/floppy disks you think the save games should be in? Often the files won't have an icon so you won't see them otherwise.

That did the trick! I now have my save games from floppy copied to HD! Whoo hoo! Thanks man! Big time saver. You da man.......

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad you managed to sort it all out.

Give me a shout if you need any more help with installing games to HD in future. I will be adding my existing HD tutorials onto the site very soon and these will include how to manually install a game, and how to install and setup other HD related things.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harrison ,

I would be very happy with your HD Tutorials , i would like to install Goal in my real Amiga HD , not the whdload one because i have a little config and it doesn't work...so i think that with an install made for it it would run !!
    Thanks in advance for your tutorials !!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hopefully I should have the time in May to complete the tutorials and get them onto the site.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why do you want to install Goal to HDD anyway?? I mean, it only has 2 disks and boots up very fast. I would understand if you do this for games which have more than 3-4 disks.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a good point, although removing the hassle of needing to use any floppy disks for a game is good even if the game was only on a single disk.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello ,
    Thank you for your answers , waiting for your tutorials Harrison ,that will help me a lot , if i want Goal to Hd , it's because my floppy drive may die one day as my originals floppies so an hd install is necessary , and as i have a little config much games don't work with whdload...