Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: PS2 RPG list

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just tested Shining Force EXA, looks good, but nothing special. Real time combat, anime look and voice output.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've also tried Shining Force EXA for a few hours and it's pretty good (eventually).

I did find that this game is quite different from the last Shining Force game, Neo, and the first part of the game is quite slow and unimpressive and left me quite disinterested. But if you persevere through this first part of the story until you find the item you are searching for (don't want to give the plot away) the game gets a lot more interesting and regains your interest.

One cool feature of the game is interchangeable characters. You basically play the game as two characters and can chop and change between them during combat to take advantage of their unique abilities, which is a nice feature for the real time arcade style combat in this game. You can also bring additional characters with you in your party for adventures and combat, but these additional characters are always AI controlled, so they are always just there for backup support.

The real-time combat system does take some getting use to and I found it too difficult to pull off many of the moves which ended up getting annoying. You have the ability to string together combos for charge attacks, or to trigger special attacks, but these both require very precise timing during the on-screen character animation and can become very frustrating to try and pull off as you only have slightly misjudge the timing of a button press and the character won't perform a move. The plus side of combat is that you can find yourself fighting a large number of opponents, with up to 30 on-screen at once during a fight! This gives a great sense of being in a big battle, but due to the combat control issues this can also mean that many of the fights end up having a very high difficulty level.

The game's graphics are really nicely created and colourful, with a wide variety of character and monster models populating the world. The Music and Sound Effects are also really good, but the voice acting leaves something to be be desired.

If you liked previous titles in the Shining Force series you should like this game. Also if you liked real time combat RPGs again you should like this. I do still personally prefer the last game Shining Force Neo over this one though.

If there is one thing that lets this game down it is the fiddly and difficult combat control system. And this may be a problem because I've read that the game is very long, lasting more than 50 hours.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good review

I have only played it for 30 minutes.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    After finishing FF12, I have now to chose what RPG to play next? I thought about:

- Grandia III
    - Star Ocean III
    - Dragon Quest VIII
    - Suikoden V

or perhaps Rogue Galaxy? But after FF12 I want to play a turn based RPG again. Do you have another one in mind, which you played and was good?

Or perhaps I'm going to play God of War 1 and then the sequel, as the games look awesome.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want a change of pace I definitely recommend you give the two God of War games a play. They are both great, with the set pieces and bosses in the second game being some of the largest and amazing looking in any game to date.

As for the others you listed, if you want to play a turn based RPG then I would recommend Suikoden V out of those. But they are all great games equally. Did you play Suikoden IV already?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you play Suikoden IV already?
    Nope. But as I heard, it's not that good, and Suikoden V is better again. I have not played any of the Suikoden games yet

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Suikoden is a great Turn based Strategy RPG series. The first two games on the PSOne might now look a bit dating graphically but they are still both great games and worth playing. I'm not sure which of the 5 games I would pick as the best in the series as each is seperate in story and setting. I've also not played the 5th game through completely yet so cannot yet say how it compares. At the moment I would say Suikoden 3 is the best one I've played so far.

One cool unique feature of the series is that you have been given the ability to build and then control a castle to defend your realm against enemies.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks