Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PS2 RPG list

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also have Romance of the three Kingdoms, but never put them in my RPG list. Are these true RPGs? Latest one I have is XI which was released 2 weeks ago.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, not true RPGs in the same sense as most. They are actually Strategy RPGs/wargames with a sort of Civilization mix to them, so you might not automatically stick them into the RPG genre, although most PS2 sites do. They do have quite a lot of RPG elements in the mix though.

Having just completed section R of the site you probably noticed the first two games in the series were released on the Amiga We have them listed as Wargames which they could also fit under.

update: I also downloaded RTK XI but like you I only quickly ran it to check it worked. I've just read a review and it seems KOEI have butchered this latest version and removed all the fun stuff, leaving mainly just a large scale wargame. They have upgraded the graphics to a full 3D engine but cut out all of the sub ruler stuff.

In RTK X you had the ability to not just concentrate on being the ruler. You also have the ability to choose to take control of any of your officers in the food chain and explore your kingdom with them. Focus on developing each character as you play them, building skill and reputation, travel the country performing tasks for the locals and being able to sabotage and recruit under the local ruler's nose. All of this is the RPG element I was talking about, and it seems they have removed all of this from the latest XI game which is very sad news. For this reason fans are saying everyone should stick to RTK X as it contains all of these great features.

It also seems they removed many other features from the latest version too, including detailed alliance control with bordering regions. Before you could call on your allies for help in a battle, but now it just gives you the ability to move freely in their regions without your own forces being attacked, and no control or aid features from the old games exist.

So basically, if you want to play one of the RTK games and really enjoy it and get the most out of it including all the fun officer RPG bits stick to RTK X and don't touch the newer XI.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post

In RTK X you had the ability to not just concentrate on being the ruler. You also have the ability to choose to take control of any of your officers in the food chain and explore your kingdom with them. Focus on developing each character as you play them, building skill and reputation, travel the country performing tasks for the locals and being able to sabotage and recruit under the local ruler's nose.
    Wow, this sounds quite cool. So what does the world look like? It sounds very interesting!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've now spent some time adding a near complete list of Japanese only PS2 RPGs to the post under the English (US/EU) release list. There are a lot of Japan only releases and some of them are definitely worth looking at as they are from many series that have seen a Western release.

I've also added some extra games to the main list, plus some more to the additional lists.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice JP RPG list. I also have Future Tactics: The Uprising, but I don't have it in my RPG folder. I think I also have Magic Pengel 2, don't know anymore.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Hey, I had no idea that Full Metal Alchemist games existed. Are they any good?
    I've played both of the Full Metal Alchemist games for over an hour each (to see what the games were like) and they are definitely worth playing if you are a fan of Full Metal Alchemist. As DC mentioned previously the combat is real-time and is very Beat 'em up based with Combos being a key feature, but it is quite easy to get to grips with and there is a lot of variety in the combat system so you don't get bored (unlike some other real-time RPG systems which end up being single button bashing combat).

The games are also quite well scripted with some nice graphics and reasonable voice acting. The stories also seemed quite fresh, although they do still contain a lot of elements from traditional RPGs.

There is also a three more games in the series called:

Fullmetal Alchemist 3: Kami wo Tsugu Shoujo (Translated as: Fullmetal Alchemist 3: God of the Forever Girl), but sadly it doesn't look an English version is likely.

Full Metal Alchemist: Dream Carnival, which is out in Japan but again has no mention of an English version.

And finally Full Metal Alchemist: Destineer, which does have a Pending Q2 US release date stated currently.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shining Force EXA has now been released.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really! Cool. Off to dow... aquire a copy now

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just played Avatar: The Legend of Aang, and it plays also a bit like an RPG, more action RPG. The game is by Nick Games, from a Nickleodeon comic/anime I suppose. It has a comic style, but plays good. At Gamefaqs it's categorized as fantasy action game.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen that listed on a few p2p sites I use and wondered what it was. Will add it to my downloads.