Thread: PS2 RPG list

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Persona 3 as you say isn't released yet, as is Rogue Galaxy or Wild Arms: Another Code F. But they will be added as they see the light, don't worry.
    I've just compiled a list of PS2 RPGs still due for release, and added them under the main list.

Any other RPG's still due for release on PS2 that I've missed?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope they will release Front Mission 5: Scars of War soon, as it's already been released in Japan since 12.22.2005

Also Wild Arms: The Vth Vanguard has yet to be announced. .hack GU will also have 3 parts, I have the first one, but the others are not announced yet.

And of course Dragon Quest Yangus which takes you in an adventure with young Yangus from Dragon Quest 8.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also a fan of the turn based games.

So how about a top ten then?
    (Including turn and time based)

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That would also give a good poll. But I don't think there are much RPG fans here. And I myself haven't played a lot of them yet, so I can't really list a top ten, or you have to include more consoles.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How about the best 3 you have played on the PS2 then.
    (Looking for some for myself to try and am just after some advice.)

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    FFX is very good, but nowadays you can also pick up FFXII, which I would recommend in your place.

I played the Xenosaga trilogy, which is very good too, but as it's a trilogy, you may have to play the 3 games to see the ending of the story.

Culdcept is not well known, but I loved this one. Not really RPG, but you travel and battle on some board, a bit like monopoly. The board is always different, and the terrain on every square is different, like earth, fire, water aso. You then throw the dices, and make your moves, as does your opponent. You then have different cards to use, you can acquire terrain, built on it and make your opponent pay or battle when he stands on it. It's a real unique gameplay, but I loved it, so so different of anything you've played until now. A must try (@Harrison: Try this one out and let me know!)

Suikoden 3 is also pretty good, haven't played it through, but also Suikoden 5 got good reviews, Suikoden 4 less.

The Shin Megami Tensei series are pretty cool too, complete different seeting, a bit weird, but amazing.

Star Ocean always had good releases, as is Star Ocean 3, which I wanted to play now, but as FFXII is released, and everybody plays it, I'm gonna do the same.

Old school of course is Grandia II, which was previously released on Dreamcast. It's still good on PS2, I finished it, and I had a great time. Grandia 3 is also out, and I had a look, and it surprised me, positive.

Dragon Quest 8 is of course a must have too. It just rocks.

Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, which was released lately, got also my attention, very nice graphics and huge combo potential.

Shadow Hearts series is also not bad as is Wild Arms series.

The best for you is to have a look at a games site, RPG related or not, and check out some reviews if you're going to play one, there so many, and so many good ones.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I second some of those you mention.

FFXII is definitely the current game to get hold of if you can. It's out in Europe in February so pick it up if you can. It's the first FF game to move away from the regular turn based combat style though but if you give it a play stick with it as the real-time/turn based mix style is good once you get used to it.

I've also been playing Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria a bit and it's great too. It has a great story with some lovely looking locations. I love the side-on 2D style of movement (you need to play it to understand), as used in a few other RPGs on the PSX. The combat system is also open to a lot of variety. It takes a bit of practice to fully grasp the combat, splitting your party and timing etc... but it is worth it as it adds a lot of fun to the combat, especially then fighting the large enemies in the game.

For turn based combat, the strategy RPG style games are definitely the place to look. Suikoden is probably my favourite strategy series. I've not yet played 4 and 5, but 3 is a great game.

Another is the Disgaea series. They have a very quirky anime story but a great strategy game in a similar style to Final Fantasy Tactics.

Another series I've always loved is Breath of Fire. I've played them all right from the first one and they are all great. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter is definitely worth playing and should be very cheap to buy these days. The combat in the Breath of Fire series has always been very similar to the Turn based FF combat.

Another is Dragon Quest 8. I've only played a bit of this one but impressed me. I can't say much more as I didn't get too far yet as I want to finish the others I'm playing first. It won awards for it's musical score at the time.

And if you like Mech's then the Xenosaga series is definitely recommended. Or for a more traditional Strategy style Front Mission 4 is good.

Another good series is Wild Arms. I've played them up to and completed Wild Arms 3, but have yet to play 4 beyond a quick play test. Another series worth looking at.

What else... Star Ocean. Another great series that mixes technology, space travel, time travel and traditional RPG styles together. The PS2 game Star Ocean: Till the end of time is the third in the series and well worth playing.

DC also mentioned Grandia 2. I played that one on the Dreamcast and it is a really good traditional RPG. Worth playing for sure. And there are also two sequels out on the PS2 as well so if you like Grandia 2 you would also have Grandia 3 and Grandia Xtreme to look forward too.

If you want something a bit different then a couple of recommendations are Legaia 2: Dual Saga that is a traditional style RPG, but with a combat style that uses button combos like a fighting game. Sounds a bit odd but it is a good game. The original PSX Legaia was good too. And Jade Cocoon 2. Many panned this game, but as again with the first on PSX, this is a nice game. It's a sort of monster collecting game similar in idea to Digimon, but done in a very different way.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been slowly downloading all the missing RPGs from your list and during testing them I've found some great ones I really like and have short listed to play soon.

Steambot Chronicles is one that I intented to only play for a few minutes to make sure it worked, but found myself playing it for 2 hours (and then realising my memory cards were all full so I couldn't save the progress! ). I didn't think I was going to like that game either, being that it is realtime combat, and sort of retro mech in style, but the game somehow drew me in and got me hooked. As soon as FF12 is finished I may well play it next.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am currently playing FFX, FF8 and FF7. All are quite excellent in their own right. I also enjoy the Star Ocean series. There are quite a few awesome ones out there.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also played Steambot Chronicles for several hours, got me stuck.

As soon as FF12 is finished
    How far are you?