Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    £200 for a 1TB drive? Have they just dropped by a lot then, as they were much more than that last month when I looked.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    £200 for a 1TB drive? Have they just dropped by a lot then, as they were much more than that last month when I looked.
    Checking on Google it's actually £211 not £200. Still, CompUSA charges US$399.99 (approx £200) for a 1TB drive. It's seems it's just us in the UK that are paying around £250 for it.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm amazed by just how cheap mass HDD storage has become. Just two weeks ago, I bought a 500 GB external Western Digital for 120 € (about 80 British Pounds). Intending to get another quite soon.

I still remember how outrageously expensive they were back in the day, and 120 MB drives were considered 'huge'

The drive is pretty good, by the way. Simple plug and play. Not the fastest, nor the quietest, but good enough for backup purposes.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Computer hardware just continues to drop in price and it always amazes me, especially as you say when you start to think back to how expensive it was in the old days.

I remember when Harddrives first became "affordable" to richer home users, with a 10MB HD costing £1000, and wishing I could afford one.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I remember when Harddrives first became "affordable" to richer home users, with a 10MB HD costing £1000, and wishing I could afford one.
    But when you finally got one, it was almost heaven, wasn't it? Workbench booting up in less than a minute instead of 2-3 minutes ... not having to swap floppy disks 'just to be able to listen to that MOD'

I'm not complaining about how well we have it now, but there was something quite charming about having to manage your files efficiently, constantly monitoring which files you needed often and which files you could do away with. Heh ... nostalgia.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was great getting my first HD, that is very true. I think Workbench was one of the first OSs that definitely did benefit greatly from being installed to HD. In contrast, at the time, DOS and others such as GEM (Atari ST) just didn't really feel any different running from floppy or HD except for the load times, but with the Amiga it allowed you to expand the abilities of Workbench far beyond the possibilities restricted by floppy disk sizes.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just recently bought a maxtor external HDD to back up my MP3s and things onto (we'll talk numbers of tracks in a different thread *ahem*). It's ugly as hell but decent capacity and wasn't too expensive.

Always wanted an HDD for the Amiga (even though I didn't need one at all). I remember it being hundreds of pounds for a 20meg unit that was big and ugly too. Now you can get 10x more storage on a teeny tiny memory card for a few quid. How things change.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed.....8 GB flash drives....
    1TB esternal harddrives, it's insane! I'm not happy though, I only just bought a 250 GB, so that is probably crashed in price
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently bought 2 500GB internal drives, to remove one of my externals. That was for my barebone emulation PC, and the 2nd disk serves only as mirror.

I always used a 320GB external disk as mirror, but I now chose this method as I made some bad experiences with external drives, already 2 of them died, one WD and one Maxtor.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not a huge fan of external HDs either. The NAS Linkstation I've had for a while now is still working perfectly well, but normal external HDs never seem as reliable as internal drives. Not sure why as they are basically the same mechanisms inside the cases. Maybe it is just due to them being more vulnerable inside their own case.