Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Emulators on an Amiga.

I'm curious. Does anyone use any emulators on their Amiga. I use ZXAM occaisionally but have never been able to get a good C64 emulator running at a good speed. And then i just had a qick look at amidog's site and was wondering if anyone has tried to get FPSE running and if so what sort of speed are you getting?
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not really had much experience with emulators on the Amiga. I tried running PC-Task in WinUAE and didn't really do much with it. I also set up ShapeShifter on my A1200 but never installed the MacOS as I didn't have it on DD disks.

Not tried anything else though.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did get Shapeshifter to work and had MACOS7 running as the hdf was on one of the last Amiga Format CD's and PCTask also worked but it has to be said i would have liked to get WIN95 or 98 to run. That was when i had a 1260.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Competent Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only ones I ever use (and not very often) are the excellent Speccy emulator ASp, and the Master System/Game Gear emulator AmiMasterGear which is also pretty good.
    I've lost my smile again...

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't any longer, but when I used to use the Amiga as my main platform I used to explore and use any and every emulator I could find. I would often buy the latest emulator disk releases from PD libraries.

The first ones I tried were ZX mainly Spectrum and C64 emulators. Both worked up to a point, but the Speccy emulators were always the fastest ones and would often run games at full speed. I forget the name of the actual emulators now, but they are still installed on both my A1200 and A4000 HDs so will see later. I also tried some Amstrad CPC, 8-bit Atari, Acorn BBC, Nintendo Gameboy (B/W) and a few others.

I also played around with Shapeshifter. One of the magazines gave away Shapeshifter with the full install of OS7 (because Apple had released it into the PD) and I setup a fully functioning emulated OS7 Mac using that which was very useful in the mid 90's as we had to use Macs at University so I needed to access the files from home.

I also used PC-Task. The PD disks I got with it contained quite a lot of DOS software including things like Lotus123 and Word Perfect which again was useful because I needed to access these file types from home on the Amiga.

There was also an Atari ST emulator but I could never get that to work. I think it was called Gemulator. It would boot into the GEM desktop and I could navigate around it, but I couldn't get any software to run. Good job the PC emulators Winston and Steem came along as they work nicely.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think on the ST emulators on the Amiga, you couldn't run programs that hit the hardware directly for some reason, so I guess that rules out pretty much any game (not that there are many ST games worth emulating)

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Classic statement there from a devoted Amiga user.

I actually was quite fond of the ST in the late 80's as I owned one from 1987, but as soon as I purchased my first Amiga in 1991 I instantly was converted and could see just how inferior they were. But they did still have quite a lot of good software and games. Just that most were also available on the Amiga and were better.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just downloaded VICE for OS4 and it runs pretty fast. Had a quick go at Uridium and about to try Project Stealth Fighter and Elite128which will be a good judge of the speed as the C64 and C128 were never all that fast with vector graphics. I'm even going to DL Hatari an ST emulator to see what Gem was like.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also used to run emulators on the Amiga. Like others here, I can't remember the names of the different tools I used.

Had a very good ZX Spectrum emulator for running both new and old ZX demo scene releases. Many quality productions was (and still is!) released for this platform. The demos ran as intended through emulation on the Amiga.

Did also use emulators for NES, SMS, and Sega Gamegear. The ones for Sega worked ok, but I seem to recall many problems with the one for NES. Not absolutely sure though, as this was a long time ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used a NES emulator too - A/NES, there was a new version of that released a few months ago. There are loads of graphical glitches though and some games don't work at all...