Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any new space games in the forseeable future?

Hello all,

Are there any new space games in development on the moment?
    I know about Starcraft 2, X3: Terran Conflict and the possible new Wing Commander but I would like to know if there are any other projects that haven't been mentioned in magazines or on the internet.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Here's one for ya Ghost looks ace GFX can't wait to see some mods on it

Jumpgate

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32210.html
    A1200 : Blizzard 030 / 4gb 2.5" Hd /64mb Edo ram/1 gb compact flash - pcmcia / internal scan doubler / Trilogic joystick mouse adaptor (works with pc optical mice) 17" Black Samtron samsung monitor...

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd read about Jumpgate, but not seen any trailers before. That is looking really good. Looking forward to this one for sure.

A Space Strategy RTS game that has just come out that you may also be interested in is called Sins of the Solar Empire. I highly recommend it. I've been playing it a bit since it came out and it is very good, although quite hard, and so probably more for existing fans of space RTS games like Homeworld, rather than someone new to the genre. The game is epic in scale and very complex. Each game, even a small one against a single computer controlled opponent can take hours to play our as you develop your tech tree and start to build your empire, and then enter into expansion into the universe and eventually conflict.

The closest comparison is Supreme Commander in Space, but much grander in scale. That statement in itself should tell you how big the scope of the game is.
    Last edited by Harrison; 26th March 2008 at 02:49.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heh, I guess I should have mentioned that but I do know about Sins of a Solar Empire
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I'd read about Jumpgate, but not seen any trailers before. That is looking really good. Looking forward to this one for sure.
    I would highly recommend checking out the official site for the latest info on this game, while its not out yet they are taking names for Beta testing and I dont think that will be too far away either.

I went to the codemasters event in Birmingham on March 14th specifically to check it out, meet the devs and got to have a play of the pre-alpha state game. I took this vid; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QWCVT77wX6Q My camera work doesnt do it justice, but you can see some interesting things, like a destroyable battle station that will require team work to take out etc etc.

I still play the games predecessor that has been running since 2001 called simply Jumpgate - although now its called Jumpgate Classic (JGC) since news of Jumpgate Evolution (JGE) began to surface, so if your looking for an online space game that is about your skills with/vs other players its worth checking out. > a youtube link to a vid from JGC http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hBX8cq0BCdE
    Official JGC site = http://www.jossh.com

Quote Originally Posted by sarek2k View Post
    Here's one for ya Ghost looks ace GFX can't wait to see some mods on it
    I doubt it will be up for modding as its an MMO. Though I am sure there will be continual content addition etc like other MMO's (including its predecessor) regularly have. And rgr on the GFX, check http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=akGVUV1fE7o out - again shoddy camera work but the Jumpgates are stunning even in the poor quality my camera chucked out.
    Last edited by vorlon31; 27th March 2008 at 23:45. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged
    There is no point and click in my universe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello,

Well I am looking in particular for single player games.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is always The Babylon Project, The Minbari Project, Wing Commander and Beyond The Red Line which are all based around the Freespace 2 engine and links to which can be found on a seperate thread.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I second that. You should definitely check out all of the Freespace 2 based projects that we have both been listing in its own thread here. Plus we have a more detailed discussion of them going on here.

They are all completely free, you don't need the original game as it is open source and the game engine is included within each project's installer. And the games are highly polished and great fun to play. And even though they are all based on the same game engine, they do all play differently and give a different gaming atmosphere.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    And the graphics whilst a little dark are (with the exception of the Wing Commander game) superb.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Hello,

Well I am looking in particular for single player games.
    A fair enough point. But as the Jumpgate Evolution game is not even in beta test state yet, do feel free to sign up to its forums, read what others think and post your own thoughts and ideas on what would make your ideal space game.
    There is no point and click in my universe.