I have finally started working on the task for my college course which involves CAD.

Firstly, as I mentioned in the 'CAD Software' topic, I have to research 3 CAD packages and specify which one I will use. The first one I have stared writing about is AutoCAD 2008, which is what we have on the computers in college. Then I am going to write about Cycas, both the Amiga version and the newer Linux/Windows version, and for the third one I will probably use something for the Macintosh, maybe ClarisCAD or something.

However, these CAD packages will need a computer system to be run on. I think we only have to do one system, but I thought I would write about a system for each of the above CAD packes. As you probably guessed, I can quite easily specify an Amiga for Cycas, and wouldn't have much trouble specifying a 68k/PPC Mac for the Mac package (I havn't decided which one to use yet).

But, AutoDesk say that AutoCAD 2008 requires a 2.2GHz Pentium 4 processor and my lack of knowledge of PC stuff made currently and during the last few years makes it difficult for me to determine what kind of hardware to use.

So, I thought I might be able to utilise your knowledge of modern computers. Here are the requirements for AutoCAD 2008:

· Intel Pentium 4 processor, 2.2 GHz Recommended
· Operating Systems:
Microsoft Windows Vista
Windows XP Home and Professional (SP2)
Windows 2000 (SP4)
· 512 MB RAM
· 750 MB free disk space for installation
· 1024x768 VGA with True Colour
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 (SP1 or higher)

I would be grateful if someone could suggest to me some hardware which would run AutoCAD nicely. I'm guessing that something better than a 2.2GHz P4 would be ideal. I could really do with some advice on graphics cards and memory as well. Ideally, the system would run Windows 2000 as I like it more than XP, but that is not essential. I do not want to go within a 100 foot radius of Vista. The drawings will not really require anything very powerful as they are quite simple. I don't think it would benefit from having multiple/dual core processors therefore it would be easier to stick with single ones. Doesn't have to very recent either, as long as it is better than the above requirements.

Many thanks
Steve