Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Intel motherboard D5400XS

Now here is how to build a system to blow the current opposition out of the water. Intel have now released a new motherboard that is a Dual Socket Extreme Platform. This is the first dual socket board from Intel and supports Quad core CPUs allowing you to build an 8 core system.

It supports Intel Core 2 Extreme and Intel Xeon processors, and up to 8GB of DDR2 800MHz ram, so you could build a monster of a system with this.

http://www.intel.com/products/mother...00XS/index.htm

It is designed mainly to run two Quad Core 2 Extreme QX9775 CPUs, each containing 12MB of L2 cache, with each core clocked at 3.2GHz, on a 1600MHz FSB.

It is also rumoured that this board supports the new skulltrail platform standard, which supports quad SLI, allowing for 4 graphics cards to be used in SLI for gaming. Now how mad is that! At the moment, once drivers are available, you will be able to have 4 8800 Ultra's running in SLI mode. Imagine the sudden increase in framerates from such a system!

But also it will mean you could use the dual graphics cards that are on the market that are basically two cards in a single slot package. This will allow you to have in theory 8 graphics cards in the system.

Now just to work out if there is actually a PSU on the market that can actually power that lot! Would a 1.1KW PSU be enough!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would a mini nuclear reactor be enough???? That blows the ALX crossfire away. eight GPU's and cores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8GBRAM. All for £8,888 with 8 TB HDD 8 USB ports 8PCIe Slots and 8 anything else you want. I 8 that idea.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think to complete the system it would need to be installed inside of an octagon shaped case.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Or a d8 style case. Maybe Octarine coloured. Probably won't be released until 08/08/08.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD