Thread: Minimig Review

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minimig Review

A guy at Amiga.org has done a review of the new Minimig. The review can be found here.

So what do you think so far about the Minimig? You going to get one? As for myself, I won't make a purchase, as I feel that the Amigas I have now (along with emulation) does the job well.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks really good - I don't think I'd buy one but i'd be tempted to make one myself with a slightly different design.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks cool and all, but I'm struggling to to think how many people would ever want one.

An old modded xbox would be able to run uae plus a host of other emulators and do media functions too (and play xbox games). Cheaply and already with a case.

I do however admire the work that has gone into minimig. It is a cool project.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a very nice review of the Minimig. I've so tempted to buy one just for the novelty factor. It is so small that you could easily have it tucked away connected to a second input on your monitor for when you want a quick game.

As mentioned in the review, it would be really cool to have the option of a custom case included with it. Also I'm unsure of having that reset button mounted on the motherboard as it is. If you fitted the board inside a case, how would you reach it? Would be much nicer to have headers on the board. And also no power on/off switch is an annoying oversight.

Hopefully they will continue to develop this a bit further. If they produced an AGA compatible one with a fast CPU and more ram then I would seriously consider a purchase, and maybe even then ditch some of my real classic Amigas.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Harrison wrote:

Hopefully they will continue to develop this a bit further. If they produced an AGA compatible one with a fast CPU and more ram then I would seriously consider a purchase, and maybe even then ditch some of my real classic Amigas.
    I would also be more inclined to purchase something like this if it had AGA support, a fast CPU and more RAM.

By the way, I think there is a project called NatAmi underway that meets these demands. The projects homepage can be found via this link. I've seen people discussing this machine in other forums and it definitly sounds interesting.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting, although that site seems a bit flaky and half finished with limited information at the moment.

I had read rumours of AGA updates to the Minimig, which if they turn out to be true will be great news. I look forward to any future developments.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The lack of power switches, location of leds and reset switch are part of the reasons I'd want to build it myself. Oh and I'd add buttons to allow games to be chosen without the need for a keyboard. All relatively trivial to do, but I'm not sure I'd get anything out of the system bar the novelty factor - UAE does the job for me.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, I prefer if most functions are mapped to the keyboard, then it is easy to assign then to either my X-Arcade or Slik-Stik controllers. Then there is no need to have the keyboard on show.

I expect it wouldn't be too hard to modify the current board mounted buttons into headers and then connect them to case mounted switches.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Harrison wrote:

Interesting, although that site seems a bit flaky and half finished with limited information at the moment.
    Updates are now being made to the NatAmi site. The layout has changed considerably, and it will be updated with more information in the near future. Have a look here. This looks very promosing in my opinion.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe Acube have sold all their first batch (100 I think) so there must be some market for it.

Don't really need one myself but may consider getting one just for the size and portability.

(Spent how much towering an A1200 and am now considering something portable )
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.