ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Upgrades for the CD32

(I'm aware of the other thread concerning the SX expansions, but thought this didn't fit in there. Feel free to move it if you want. )

I'm thinking of upgrading my CD32, as I use it quite often these days. Right now I can only use it for gaming, which is ok, but I would like to go a step further. That means that I'll be using it for programming (AMOS, Blitz) and some other demo related stuff. I could of course do this by using an emulator, but nothing beats the real thing.

Anyway, I've seen some of those SX expansions on the net, but I'm a bit unsure which one to get. Have any of you had or still have something like this? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for help.

If I decided to get one, I'll be posting an advert on Amibay I think, unless some of you have one for sale.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For CD32 expansions you basically have two options. The SX-1 and the SX-32.

The SX-1 is the oldest original expansion for the CD32. This is only an expansion unit and not an accelerator. It offers the following specs:
    • 1 x 25pin Parallel Port
    • 1 x 9pin Serial Port
    • 1 x 23pin RGB Video Port
    • 1 x External Floppy Drive Port (for up to 3 drives)
    • 1 x 2.5" IDE Connector
    • 1 x 37pin External IDE Connector
    • 1 x Keyboard connector, compatible with both Amiga and PC keyboards
    • 1 x 72pin SIMM slot.
    • 1 x Karaoke / Audio Input.
    • 1 x Pass Thru for FMV module.
    Therefore adding the SX-1 unit to the CD32 will give you all of the A1200 ports missing from a standard CD32, and in addition you will gain the ability to add some fast ram via a 72 pin simm.

One thing to take into account with the SX-1 is that this unit connects to the back of the CD32 and is as big as the main CD32, making it hard to move the system. Here is a picture showing the SX-1 connected to the CD32:

In contrast the SX32 is a full accelerator and expansion unit for the CD32. It comes in two versions. One with a EC030@40MHz and the other more sort after one comes with a full 030 at 50MHz.

The full spec of the SX32 is as follows:
    • Processor: EC030@40Mhz or 030@50Mhz
    • FPU: Optional 68882 (PGA) @25Mhz or 50Mhz
    • MMU: None in EC030s, Internal in full 030s
    • Max Ram: 64MB
    • Ram Type: 1 x 72pin SIMM slot. (Supports 50ns RAM)
    It also has the following expansion ports:
    • 1 x 25pin Parallel Port
    • 1 x 25pin Serial Port
    • 1 x 23pin RGB Video Port
    • 1 x 15pin VGA Monitor Port
    • 1 x External Floppy Drive Port
    • 1 x 2.5" Buffered IDE Connector, with enough space to mount a 2.5" Hard Drive
    • 1 x Keyboard Connector, both Amiga and PC keyboards can be used.
    • The unit supports DMA transfers at up to 4MB/sec by using the Akiko chip.
    As you can see the SX32 is a much better expansion unit than the SX-1. It also fits internally into the CD32's expansion bay, rather than connecting to the back. And it looks like this:

There is also one other rarer expansion unit for the CD32.

This is called the CD32 Promodule is very similar to the original SX-1, but you place it under the CD32, rather than behind, and then connect a block connector between the two units. It has a built in floppy disk drive and the ability to add up to 8MB of fast ram and an FPU to the unit. It also adds similar ports to the SX-1, such as parallel, serial, RGB, external floppy, IDE and Keyboard.

I hope that helps you out. So I would definitely recommend the SX32 over the other two. The SX32 is also available as the SX32 MKII. This is just an updated version of the original and includes exactly the same features, except the PCB is smaller.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the in-depth information concerning the CD32 expansions, Harrison. That is much appreciated!

After reading about the different units, I see what you mean. The SX32 definitly seems like a winner. Not only does it provide more features than the SX1, but it takes up less space as well. That's important for me, as the CD32 shares space with a decoder and a DVD-player.

I guess I'll be going for the SX32 then. Hopefully some people at Amibay can help me out on this one.

How much would you reckon a SX32 would cost these days?

Thanks again for the help mate.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's hard to know what an SX32 would currently be worth as I've not seen any for sale in some time. Prices of most Amiga hardware has really been dropping in the past year, with the exception of 060 and PPC accelerators which have been shooting up in price due to AmigaOS4.

There is currently an SX-1 on ebay currently at £0.99 here. So maybe watch that to see what it ends at.

But there is also someone on EAB offering a MK1 SX32 at the moment here. And it doesn't look like it has been sold yet.

And maybe post a wanted advert on Amibay.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow

I had two SX32 MK1 (non pro) and I had a lot of trouble with those devices.

The backplane to CD32 connection is very weak and shaky.

Both SX32 had the same problems.
    It was hard to find a working position with SX32 installed in the CD32.
    When I just put on/off an external drive the SX32 lost connection and it was horroble to find the right working position again !

I also had two SX-1, the first did not recognise any RAM and the second which I still own did only recognised 4 MB (I tried a lot of 4/8 MB Simms).

Finaly I think the SX-1 is much more practical and insensitive than the SX32.
    I heared about other people with the same SX32 problems.

Actuall my SX-1 is working with 4 MB RAM, IDEFix and two compactflash to IDE converters (the original IDE has a lot of problems to handle more than one IDE drive).

I also bought a new PSU and converted it to CD32 connector.
    If you have problems with the SX-1 be sure your PSU has enough voltage !
    The SX-1 needs at least +5 volt/ +12 volt. If your PSU has only exact +5 volt or a bit less the SX-1 will NOT work !