Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

My cat died yesterday

Hello all,

I am back and with a rather sad story, yesterday I got to discover that my cat Twizzel, a cat I had for a year now and have raised since he was a kitten was found dead near a busy road.

Twizzel had gone out last Sunday evening and when he didn't come back later I first thought he was after female cats (its the season) but three days later I still hadn't seen him and I had already looked through the neighbourhood for him.

I decided to call the animal ambulance, a first aid service for wounded and stray animals and pets and asked them if they had found him.
    They had indeed found a cat but they needed some information to verify it was him, fortunate I had a photo of him and sent that to them, but when I received a phone call back five minutes later and they told me they were sorry it suddenly felt all over again like the passing of my mom.

Apparently the ambulance had picked him up a couple of days earlier.

They first offered that I should come to their office so that I could say goodbye and arranged the cremation of the corpse but because of my phobia for the bus that was impossible for me so instead they visited me and brought him along.

I did cry out loud after the phone call but managed to keep myself together when the ambulance team came by, I said goodbye to my little cat and arranged that he would be cremated and his ashes spread out.

Some hours later after I had laid down for a while it truly hit me, I don't care what people think on the moment but I cried my guts out and started to ask why my cat had to die.
    Having already lost my mom in 2006 I felt I have had experienced enough of my share of misfortune, I got the cat to sheer me up and not to feel alone anymore.

Well since that moment I have been quite angry at the world, and nothing would please me more than to get back at it, do something back to show that you can push people only so far before they have enough of it and fight back.

But what can I do, I don't even know who hit my cat, but his or her fate would be very dire indeed if I ever manage to find this person.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sorry for your loss. I know how you feel as at the begging of last year my cat of 6 years got hit by a car and passed away. Fortunatly for me the car driver took her too the vets which was a about 500 yards away from the accident but her injuries were too severe and she died. It was a blow because she had been shot at least twice in the past and made it but i guess this time it was not meant to be. Alice was a cat who got me through some very dark times and shall always miss her but I'm very philosophical about her death. She got me through when i was ill and now that i was better she needed to pass so that i could have the impotice to move on to bigger and better things. I still miss her but i dwell on the good things rather than the bad as it's the only way to carry on.
    Whatever you do don't let anger control you as in the end the only person who gets hurt is yourself. Trust me i know. Things will get better and the pain will ease as i'm sure you know but if you do get another cat make sure you get them microchipped as if the worst should happen then at least you can be informed sooner.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really sorry to hear about your Cat. There's nothing wrong with feeling emotional over a pet you'd obviously grown very close to and probably offered a lot of comfort after the loss of your mother.

My deepest condolences and hope in time you manage to find a way to deal with how you're feeling right now.

Road accidents are always a possibility with Cats. They are the only pet that people are permitted to let roam freely and of course like any animal they don't have the best road sense. The person who hit your Cat may not have even been aware of the situation, but even if they were it's hard to tell whose pet it is so many might just take the easy option and drive on.

If I'd hit a Cat, I would have taken it immediately to the nearest Vets and then gone back to knock on people's doors in an effort to find out whose it was. That's what a responsible person would do.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

Don't have any pets myself, but I could imagine how a bond could form between a pet and its owner.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you do get another cat i recommend that along with chipping you also get him/her "done" as this reduces the area that the cat will wander. Males generally have a larger terretory than females and so wander a bit more but if they are nutered then they wander a little less. Females just need doing as otherwise you will have a house full of kittens before you can blink. Cats are almost as bad a Tribbles.
    Again i'm sorry for your loss especially when you are still feeling raw over the loss of your mother.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn man, sorry to hear about that. We can down a couple drinks for each other, I've had a rough day too. (I won't hijack your thread though)
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to hear about your cat. Anyone who has never had one doesn't seem to quite understand how attached we can get. They do become a part of your family.

When my last dog had to be put down it was very sad. Having owned him for over 13 years since he had been 6 weeks old. And regardless of any replacement animal you do sometimes catch yourself thinking and remembering them just as you would a close friend or family member.

But as Buleste said, don't get angry over this. It doesn't help. I know it can be hard to control your emotions when something like this happens but I also don't think the driver of a car can be held completely accountable as cats can sometimes be unpredictable and do sometimes just make a run for it across a road at the wrong time. Often coming from a hiding place so the driver has no time to prepare just in case.

Cats are free spirits and unlike any dogs we don't fully ever own them. They have their own mind and go where they like. Sometimes to where they should not be.

However I do agree that if a driver hits an animal they should stop and see if it is injured.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate it when pets die - I was totally distraught for about 2 months when my dog passed away when I was a kid. My mum ha two cats and they really are members of the family - I just hope they stick around for a long time cos it will be awful when they go.
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    We had a cat for about 13-14 years. I grew up with that cat and he felt like a best friend to me. Taking him to be put down was one of the hardest things I had to do - especially as my Dad was dying of cancer at the time.

But shit happens you know. Life can be a bitch but you have to pull through with the love and support of your family and friends. Concentrate on the good things. I feel for you pal, and I hope the sad feelings pass. Keep your chin up, don't let the negative feelings overwhelm you.

And this may seem a bit sudden, but we got another cat shortly after and it was one of the best things we did. We got a rescue cat that was lovely and affectionate but had his own share of misfortune so we all benefitted from it. Would you consider getting another animal?

I know how you all feel we had a dog called Amiga for nealry 15 years of course i named the dog after the Amiga computer cause it sort of meant friend!

Our dog was terrified of any loud noises like drills/thunder storms/any loud vibrations generally any loud noise that wasn't in our flat but the worst of all was fireworks she used to tremble like hell and try and dig thru the floor with her front paws. for the first 10 years we lived in a quiet village called garstang so we didn't often get too much noise when we moved to morecambe (lancs), it was a different story every year it got worse with the new millenium etc. More and more fireworks, our dog just couldnt take it we tried sedatives to try and null the pain she was going through but it didn't work in the end we took her to the vet @ age 14 and he saw what she was like and said it was best to have her put to sleep it was the worst thing i've done in my life. it cost 80 quid but i couldnt even count the money i was so upset! We tried over the weekend of bonfire night but when i went in the bathroom and saw her sprawled out on the floor in the corner looking like she'd broken legs that was it i couldnt take it any more for her or me.

loosing a pet (friend) can be just as bad as loosing a person cause you are just as attached!

Just the same as you i was angry for a few years Ban fireworks (or the silly insane ones) as well as a neighbour playing films too loud thru a hifi that i'd given him!

I've often thought of getting another pet but just can't go thru the loss again!

Added a picture of her.

@Ghost i know the hurt you felt as it seems others here do to you never do forget i still have pics of my dog now and will have them forever i doubt i'll ever get another one as loosing Amiga was so upsetting i'm talking from the heart here!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sarek2k; 3rd March 2008 at 03:04.
    A1200 : Blizzard 030 / 4gb 2.5" Hd /64mb Edo ram/1 gb compact flash - pcmcia / internal scan doubler / Trilogic joystick mouse adaptor (works with pc optical mice) 17" Black Samtron samsung monitor...