ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Installing E-UAE on Ubuntu

(For anyone that wants to use EUAE rather than the outdated UAE bundled with Ubuntu, I've done a guide. Perhaps this could be useful on the main site? Perhaps labours the point in places but better to be too detailed than leave people unsure.)

Installing E-UAE on Ubuntu

As of version 7.10, Ubuntu only provides the outdated UAE as part of it's default packages. Here's how to install the more up-to-date E-UAE.

Open the terminal (Applications, Accessories, Terminal) and type "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"

Add the following line to the bottom of the file "deb http://morgoth.free.fr/ubuntu gutsy-backports main" and save the file.

Back in the terminal type "wget -O - http://morgoth.free.fr/files/morgoth-signkey.gpg.asc | sudo apt-key add -"

Once done, close the terminal and open Synaptic Package Manager (System, Administration, Synaptic Package Manager).

Inside Package Manager, click the Search icon and search for UAE

Right click on E-UAE and click "Mark for Installation". Mark any additional changes that may be required if prompted. Click Apply and wait for E-UAE to be installed.

Once installed, we will now create a program icon for E-UAE. Right click the Ubuntu logo in the top left of the screen and click Edit Menus.

Click on Accessories in the left-hand pane, and then click New Item.

In the dialog box, type "E-UAE" as the name and "/usr/bin/uae-sdl" as the command. You may optionally add a comment (e.g. Amiga Emulator) if you wish. Click OK to close the dialog box and then Close to exit the menu editor.

UAE may now be run by clicking Applications, Accessories, E-UAE from the top of the screen.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice little guide Alex. Should be very useful. Just shows how user unfriendly Linux can still be, just to add a menu icon to launch an application. I've not run E-UAE using Ubuntu yet, and this has made me want to.

BTW, someone on EAB submitted E-UAE for inclusion into the Synaptic package manager a long time ago. I wonder why it still isn't in there? Or is it? I need to check.

There are also some frontends for E-UAE on Linux, and I did start to write a guide about using them, but haven't yet finished. So I could combine the two, or add a linux section into the site FAQs.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Nice little guide Alex. Should be very useful. Just shows how user unfriendly Linux can still be, just to add a menu icon to launch an application.
    Thanks! I could do some screenshots to illustrate some points if that would help?

I'm not sure it's that unfriendly - adding an icon is almost the same as windows if you think about it (you right click in Start, Programs on windows instead of the Ubuntu icon, click add new shortcut instead on new item and type C:\Program Files\WinUAE\WinUAE.exe instead of usr/bin/uae-sdl) It's just the different file structure that makes it seem complicated.

E-UAE isn't in the universe component of the software manager, hence the need to add in a new component as the first step. Perhaps it will be moved into the universe in the next version of Ubuntu (April 2008).

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Except in Windows you can just find the program and drag it into the start menu to automatically create a shortcut icon in there.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!