Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Using X-Arcade with a real Amiga

In the 'Favorite Joystick' poll thread it was asked what it would take to hook up an X-Arcade Controller to a real Amiga. I gave a few options that I could think of. I'm starting a new thread here with my reply to see if someone has another good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Made me wonder about something. Could an X-Arcade be made to work with a real Amiga? After all you can get adaptors to use it with consoles (PS2, Xbox...) so I would have though it was possible to create an Atari port adaptor for it. Anyone any idea? Zetr0?
    Although the X-Arcade has a DB-9 connector, it is a PS/2 format. All you would need is something that converts the keystrokes from PS/2 format into 12 different switch signals (6 per joystick (4 directions, 2 buttons). A microcontroller such as the MSP430 from Texas Instruments could easily be programmed to do that. The pinout of the X-Arcade DB-9 is here:
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...0;attach=66900

The other possibility would be to wire the micro switches in the X-Arcade directly to a DB-9 connector for the Amiga, like so:
    http://www.technick.net/public/code/...miga_mouse_joy
    The switches in the Amiga Joystick make a connection to GND (pin 8). The switches in the X-Arcade also make a connection to GND. So no problems there. When connecting the X-Arcade this way, the +5V supply to the X-Arcade is not even required.

A third possibility would be to take a closer look at the other platforms for which there already are X-Arcade adapters available. Perhaps the joysticks for one of those work similarly to the Amiga/Atari (switches making connections to GND). If so, all that would be needed is an adapter cable.

And lastly, you could send an e-mail to the folks at xgaming.com to see if they already have something in the pipe for Ataris and Amigas.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some great ideas there roger. Cheers for posting them. Definitely interested in looking into the possibility of running the X-Arcade with a real Amiga.

This could be a project for a resident hardware modder like Zetr0. Maybe?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Some great ideas there roger. Cheers for posting them. Definitely interested in looking into the possibility of running the X-Arcade with a real Amiga.

This could be a project for a resident hardware modder like Zetr0. Maybe?
    Thanks.

with regard to complexity, wiring Amiga Joystick connectors (DB-9) directly to the micro switches is probably the easiest way. All you have to do is drill a hole in the back of the X-Arcade to bring the 2 cables out.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thing is, I wouldn't want to actually alter the internals of the X-Arcade as I use it with MAME and other emulators. So having a cable adaptor would be the best option in my view, and I could see a market for such an adaptor.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!