Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

References within songs?

When you listen to music do you ever have the need to understand the lyrics?

A name, event, location etc is sung about but you don't know the reference.

I do and often have to look it up so I fully understand the song.

Another thing is when I can't quite get all of the lyrics within a song, and I have to then look up the lyrics to see what they are really singing. Do you have to do that?

One thing I did discover while looking the lyrics up for a song today is that not all lyric sites can be trusted. Some for a song were clearly wrong, and I had to look up three different sites before I found one with accurate lyrics. Not good. But that is the internet for you. Created by fans, for fans.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did always have a look at the lyrics when I was a lot younger, when I listened to my metal bands, I had to know what the message of Slayer f.ex. was. Nowadays I don't really bother, as I have so many CDs, that I don't look at the lyrics every time, only if something really interests me.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Usually i just look on the CD/LP cover and they have the lyrics in there. But if you own nothing but pirate copies of everything then you deserve to have difficulty in finding the correct lyrics. Support the multi milionares artists that spend three weeks of the year to bring you thier music and not the pirates who are all members af Al-quieda if you believe the Americans.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I find that if I try to understand the lyrics, I spend too much time/effort focusing on that rather than enjoying the song, so most of the time I don't even listen to what's being sung. Perhaps it's just because my native language isn't English, meaning I have to focus a lot more in order to 'get' the lyrics, while it comes naturally to most of you guys.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Strangely enough, I'm just not that interested in what Kylie Minogue and Co have to say.
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The same thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I did always have a look at the lyrics when I was a lot younger, when I listened to my metal bands, I had to know what the message of Slayer f.ex. was. Nowadays I don't really bother, as I have so many CDs, that I don't look at the lyrics every time, only if something really interests me.
    yes, the same with me. Some years ago, i went to the web and look for lyrics about Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Dream Theater etc... today i don't do it, only if a track really interests me a lot.
    Last year i went to pick all Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons lyrics, but was only for this 2
    Last edited by Tiago; 6th February 2008 at 11:18. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on what I'm listening to. I listened a lot to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds before, still do sometimes. And that isn't easy listening, the lyrics is a very important part of most of Cave's songs. Often the music itself is only there to complement the text and doesn't really work on its own. Not all of his music is like that, but a lot of it is so you really need to pay attention to his lyrics to get the most out his music in my opinion.

But for other generic music I don't really pay much attention to the lyrics anymore.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to read the lyrics quite often for Nine Inch Nails, The Doors, PWEI, Neds Atomic Dustbin, Therapy? and a few others but i'm not so bothered now.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Competent Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    Usually i just look on the CD/LP cover and they have the lyrics in there.
    It annoys me when they don't though. I like reading the lyrics and I find it a bit irritating that some bands never include them (Idlewild and New Order have never included lyrics in the album sleeve) especially when they can be hard to decipher at times.

It's not a big problem obviously as you can get 'em on the internet anyway (though has anyone ever come across songs that don't actually have the lyrics on the 'net? I can't find the lyrics to Idlewild's "Hidden Ways" anywhere, for instance) and I'm generally only interested if I really like the song anyway.
    I've lost my smile again...

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same here. I will only look lyrics up for a song I really like, where I just can't work out certain words or lines.

Years ago a lot of LPs had lyrics included, and many early CDs continued to do the same, but in recent years it seems more and more don't include any. Instead just including a 4 page booklet with a couple of abstract pictures.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!