Apple Air Laptop!

Wow mega impressed check the video here!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...ylist=featured
    A1200 : Blizzard 030 / 4gb 2.5" Hd /64mb Edo ram/1 gb compact flash - pcmcia / internal scan doubler / Trilogic joystick mouse adaptor (works with pc optical mice) 17" Black Samtron samsung monitor...

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    lmfao!

I can honestly see Mac Owners Chomping at the bit to get one of these!!!!!!
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great video!

Shame the Air doesn't have a screen.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I must've seen a different video. The Mac air I saw had a beutifull widescreen. The Clarity was perfect.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    I must've seen a different video. The Mac air I saw had a beutifull widescreen. The Clarity was perfect.
    I bet you own a MAC, only mac users / owner can see the clarity of the screen...

from what my friend tells me, the clarity is that good its like actually seeing reality.

My friend is also off to buy some new clothes soon....
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only mac i've ever used was Fusion. I've never bought a single Apple product (Don't need to, my brother in law works for Apple Oxford Street). I was using my imagination to see a M$ beating machine and what a glorious vision it was.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As with all Apple products, style over content. That video was mildly amusing if a bit too obvious.

There is no denying that the Air is the thinnest laptop to date, but in my view it isn't a computer. It is a terminal/pda. It doesn't have any optical drive or other inputs unless you include USB. Everything is meant to be done over it's built in wireless network. And if you want to access a CD/DVD you need to insert it into a wirelessly connected PC/Mac and access it's drive over the wireless connection on the Air. Have any of you used a CD/DVD over a network? It's much slower than having an actual drive in the computer you are using. And to backup your files means using a remote backup facility on the Apple servers, or again copying over a network. Therefore this is not a full computer.

And so to turn this into a fully functioning computer you have to buy an upgrade, and that upgrade is another computer! Mad!.

OK, I can see this idea being used in businesses perfectly well. Having a terminal like laptop connected to a central server where your files are stored and backed up, and where everything is accessed from is a good working business practice for both security of sensitive data, and to safeguard against data lose. But for the home user the Air is really any use to existing Mac owners to use as an extension of their main system.

I personally hate anything Apple with a passion. I would never buy anything from them unless I had no alternatives. I hate their OS, I hate the restricted limitations they impose upon everything they make, I hate the lack of true upgrade-ability of most of their products. But most of all I hate Mac fanboys! Those idiots you see stroking and caressing the case of any Apple product! I want a computer I can switch on and use for what I need. Not something that looks great, but is crap to use.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used the CDRW drive in a powermac over the wireless network. I was copying some files from my PC to record to a CD using the Mac and it had to copy them over airport first to the computer before recording them to the CD. I'm glad it didn't try and record the CD as it was copying them over the network.

I can see such a computer having it's uses. I expect that there are plenty of people that wouldn't want to carry round a CDROM drive inside there computer all the time. You could still use a USB CDROM and a flash drive when you are at home. I don't think it is really aimed at people who want CDROM and Firewire etc access all the time. That is what the MacBook and MacBook Pro are for.

I think I will pay a visit to the apple store some time to have a look at one. I think it is a bit pricey for what it is though, with the only advantage being that it is small.