ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Amiga Magazines of the Past

The Amiga Magazines of the Past

Do you remember the days when Amiga magazines where available at most newsagents? Do you remember the feeling when buying a magazine and the joy of reading through the articles when you got home? The joy of trying out the stuff enclosed on the free demo disks?

There were many magazines to choose from those days. There was Amiga Format, CU Amiga, One, Amiga Power, Amiga Shopper, Amiga Computing and a lot more. There was even a mag called CD32 Gamer, which concentrated on everything that concerned the CD32.

So, which magazine was your favourite and which do you remember as the best one?
    Also, do you still drag a few issues of your fav mag down from the loft or up from the cellar and browse through them?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was of course Amiga Forum for me, you know that.

Managed to get the complete collection (along with the preceding Exec issues and following Megabyte issues) off QXL a while back, with coverdisks. Once the magazine section is going scans and ADFs of those are definitely coming up.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. I look forward to seeing some of these Amiga Forum scans as I'm never seem that magazine.

I used to love going to the News Agents as there were so many great magazines for lots of formats, not just Amiga, and a wealth of coverdisk content to look at and see which magazine was worth buying.

For me my favourite was CU Amiga. For me it contained a slightly better balance than Amiga Format and their articles and reviews were slightly better written (in my view). But I also liked Amiga Format, Amiga Computing and AUi, of which I also normally bought all of each month too! That was a lot of reading each month and they all had different content which was great.

For more serious software, reviews and articles Amiga Computing was really good, and for the really technical and serious side of the Amiga, AUi was brilliant as it also had the general IT technology section in the middle that kept you up to date in the latest things in the world of IT. AUi was also the first magazine to run three issues with a cover mounted CD. I have all three issues and they have some great content.

Those were the 4 magazines I purchased each month, except when I couldn't find AUi because that was sonetimes hard to find. A small newsagents in Southampton always had it if I couldn't find it anywhere else, but it was quite a walk after college to get there.

I hardly ever purchased Gaming only magazines such as The One, Amiga Action and Amiga Power, but did when they had some good cover mounted demos I wanted to play, or a special issue with the years top 100.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My favourite was CU Amiga as well, much for the same reasons, far better editorial I found, although occasionally I did also buy Amiga Format if a cover disk or certain article caught my eye...or a certain top shelf mag caught my eye instead then I wouldnt buy either lol.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    All the serious Amiga magazines really didn't interest me. I bought Amiga Action for a while but it was really quite shit and never quite seemed to review te games properly.

I was, as you all know, a major Amiga Power fan. It was more than just a magazine to me - it was more like a way of life and it shaped a lot of my humour. It was a great magazine, funny as **** and it told it how it was. I read and re-read those magazines many many times. They are still in my mum's loft and I aim to get them down and read them again sometime soon. And scan them too, oh yes.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Teho wrote:

It was of course Amiga Forum for me, you know that.

Managed to get the complete collection (along with the preceding Exec issues and following Megabyte issues) off QXL a while back, with coverdisks. Once the magazine section is going scans and ADFs of those are definitely coming up.
    Hehe, I knew that you had a special passion for Amiga Forum. I also enjoyed reading that magazine. That was good times. Did also read a few issues of Techno!, Giga and DNH-klubben as well.

Looking forward to those scans for sure! Will be great to check out the old issues again. Congratulations on acquiring such a neat collection of mags.

As for Amiga magazines in general, my favourite was CU Amiga. This mag had like the perfect balance between games and hardware. Each issues contained interesting and well written reviews, along with articles on other subject as well. Learned a lot from reading the troubleshooting section.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Amiga Power was the one for me that or anything with a good coverdisk demo At the time i was only really interested in games, nowadays the only magazines i read are the Evertonian and NGamer, i will get the occasional PC mag if there is something interesting in it but thats pretty rare. Id love to see some scans of old amiga mags i still have some but not many because some of them were damaged in a flood but my old man still has coverdisks for them im just not sure if they still work.
    [URL="http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/"]Hey Hey 16k by Rob Manuel[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    All the serious Amiga magazines really didn't interest me. I bought Amiga Action for a while but it was really quite shit and never quite seemed to review te games properly.

I was, as you all know, a major Amiga Power fan. It was more than just a magazine to me - it was more like a way of life and it shaped a lot of my humour. It was a great magazine, funny as **** and it told it how it was.
    I have to agree with you there, these magazines had their very own brand of writing which you could relate to and trust. I just didn't get the more serious versions. It was all Amiga Action, Power, CU Amiga and The One for me. I hope they are still lying about in the attic somewhere!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was Amiga Format for me all the way. I loved the whole layout of the mag and can honestly say there wasn't a single issue I was disappointed with.