Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video to VGA

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Video to VGA

This might be a dumb question, but, i've seen on ebay and other places this piece of hardware : Geniatech V2VPro Video to VGA Up-Scaling Converter/Switcher at a price of 41usd plus shipping (12usd to portugal) aprox 35 euros, and asking the manufacturer if i could connect a 15,75khz vga signal and would it convert it to the vga 31khz of my LCD, the response was that it woud work. If so why do whe need scandoublers?? Am i missing something?!?

This is the converter:
    http://stores.ebay.com/HDTVonPC_Vide...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    Last edited by JLPedro; 28th January 2008 at 17:32. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @JLPedro

Hello there, a VGA Up-Scaling Converter / Switcher is in fact a scan doubler, as you have noted it takes a 15kHz signal and converts it to 31kHz (or more as the case maybe)

I will suggest caution though as some cheap units do not de-interlace (cure the flicker) from interlaced screen and you are left with a mess!

I would suggest the following to anyone.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/External-TV-Tu...QQcmdZViewItem

I have one of these and its clearly awesome, I had a wonderfull stable picture from my amiga (in 1280x512x8 super hires laced) scaled nicely on my 42" Plasma in 16:9, also on my 19" AOC monitor in 1280x1024x32

its great
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Humm, even cheaper! what do you use to conect your amiga to the video converter?

The one you sugested states it might not suport pal-b or pal-g (portugal standard), does this mean i could not conect it to my tv?.
    Last edited by JLPedro; 28th January 2008 at 17:49. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    the unit has 4 possible inputs

SVideo
    VGA
    RF
    Composite

I have tried the RF / Composite and Svideo all are great, Svideo being almost indistinguishable from RGB, I am yet to try the VGA to see if it can handle 15kHz input.
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ops, the price is in British pounds, it's a bit more expensive than the v2pro, and both have the vga in, does the cable comes included or is it easy to buy one (vga in, seems a dim socket).

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    yes 13 pin dim, not all that uncommon, i think i have a couple i got free with graphics cards LOL.

I am unsure of the v2pro, i had considered this unit a while back but when instead with the link i put up... do you know if the v2pro de-interlaces the image and then scans them up ?

if it does then, well the argument is a mute point as they would both be doing the same thing.

@JLPedro
    just reading up the specs of the unit you posted

Features:
    • Plug& Play installation, no software or driver required.
    • Support all video formats in the world (NTSC/PAL/SECAM...)
    • Supports full function OSD (On Screen Display).
    • Versatile resolutions: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024@60 and 75Hz
    • Compatible for Multi Signal inputs: Video, S-Video, PC (bypass).
    • OSD control menu:50-to-60HZ frame rate conversion, Brightness, Contrast,
    • Saturation, hue control, video standard.
    • Up-scaling conversion
    • 3DMotion-adaptive interfiled de-interlacing.

so yes it does de-interlace the picture... this is a pretty good price for this type of unit... i will certainly consider one of these for my next project...

a good find indeed!
    Last edited by Zetr0; 28th January 2008 at 18:04. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes you probably have those cables from gfx cards but they are 13 pin out to composite or svideo, what we need is vga out to 13 pin dim... and i don't think i've ever seen one of them...

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you wud be hard pushed to find one, even on the web. sorry mate
    Check it for free next gen consoles! :
    [URL="http://www.freeconsolegiveaway.info"]http://www.freeconsolegiveaway.info[/URL]

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, i've brought one for 50,94usb (34€), when it arrives i will test it and post the results here. Thanks for the help!

But returning to the original question, if it actualy (will have to wait and see) receives the 15,75khz vga signal and converts it to a vga 31khz or more with deinterlacing, why do whe keep seeng scandoublers on ebay seeling for $$$$? There must be some diferences for shure! anyone knows what they be?
    Last edited by JLPedro; 28th January 2008 at 18:38. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @JLPedro

I agree it seems crazy as to why people would pay hundreds of pounds on an internal scan doubler / flicker fixer when £30 would do, and a lot more too.