Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

UMD movies not dead yet...

It's not dead! Sort of. Sony Computer Entertainment of America and MTV have announced a collaboration to bring new UMD movies to store shelves. In fact, they should be available now. "Jackass," "Beavis & Butt-head," and "Aeon Flux" are all available for $14.99 (MSRP) beginning this week.

And this is on top of the fact that Superbad was released on BD, DVD & UMD (A first, as far as I can recall) simultaneously, this past week.

This collaboration with MTV is a key first step in meeting the needs of our consumers, who are utilizing PSP as a video player more than ever and are thirsting for more content, particularly short-form videos," said Phil Rosenberg, senior vice president of sales and business development, SCEA in a press release. "MTV's programming is hugely popular, and SCEA can utilize our internal resources to appropriately manage the publishing and distribution of these hit shows on UMD. This demonstrates our commitment to supporting the UMD video format by delivering what consumers want to watch at the right price. SCEA will continue to license movie, TV, and other video content, leveraging our sales and marketing strengths, as a strategic focus moving forward.

"We're very happy to be working with SCEA to bring our content to the PSP," said Paul DeGooyer, senior vice president of home entertainment, games and music for MTV Networks' Music & Logo Group. "Our viewers consistently choose to experience our programming on a number of platforms, and the PSP is a particularly well-loved device among our audience. We're very pleased that PSP users will be able to watch their favorite MTV shows when they are on the go -- plus, the shows look fantastic on the PSP's LCD screen."
    This is not a signature

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yay!

Hmm ... maybe if the discs cost 10 bucks or less, I'd consider getting a few. That, and PSP batteries that last longer than a couple of hours.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still prefer to buy a film on DVD and convert it to play off a MS.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same here. Purchasing them on UMD is too limiting. Converting is much better.

@ Sharingan

I find that if running games from UMD, but if I run them from MS the battery lasts about 10 hours.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can renounce to UMD's and only stick to DVD or BluRay, depends on the quality of the film.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aeon Flux? Now there was a weird, make-little-sense series. And a crappy film too. Nice tight outfits for Charlize Theron though

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Aeon Flux? Now there was a weird, make-little-sense series. And a crappy film too. Nice tight outfits for Charlize Theron though
    All my thoughts.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The original cartoons were much stranger than the eventual film though. Some of the episodes made no sense at all. I still watched them all though as they were kind of strangely compelling. Especially how she would be killed in every episode!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, I think I phrased it with a little bit too much understatement, they actually made so sense whatsoever. And the drawing style could go from very cool to utter shit in an episode (a couple of times). Never really helped that they never were shown at consistent times (or possibly not even in order by MTV).

Same for 'The Maxx' and the cartoon with the guy that had an alien living in his head. Might have been called 'the head'

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember that cartoon with the alien in the guys head. That was very strange.

I missed a lot of the AF cartoons on MTV but managed to get hold of a copy of the complete series on DVD a while back which contains a ton of interesting extras, including interviews with the creator. Still didn't help explain it much though, although he did state there had been no real plot development or goals when creating the series. You think?