Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek XI

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
    how can Winona be Karl Urbans mother ?
    She can't shes Zachary Quinto's mother. I'm gussing she'll be wearing make up besides how old is she now??? late 30's.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same here. It might turn out to be the worst film ever made, but being Star Trek i will still pay to see it on the big screen.

[slight off topic rant ON]

Why are the owners of most Sci-Fi franchise so bad at realising the full potential of anything they own? Or cut it off in it's prime. Stargate, Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Trek... all of them have been treated with less respect than they deserve over the years.

And what is it with this franchise idea that they should cut a Sci-Fi show when it is at it's ultimate high? Or not even give a show enough tie to develop?

Journeyman is a great example at the moment. Who else has been watching this? It's coming to the end of it's 12 episode run and it's getting really good. And yet it has been cancelled! I would go as far as saying it is better than Dead Zone (although I do also like that), but the latter has seen 6 series to date, and Journey mad is cut after just 12 episodes. Mad!

[rant OFF]

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is Journeyman made by Fox by any chance??? Fox are great at creating superb series but even better at cutting them off in their prime because they don't get as many viewers as their "reality" shows this is because you need more than two brain cells to watch the good shows which rules out most of Fox's viewers. Firefly was one of the best sci-fi shows ever and fox killed it after 14 episodes, so they make a film of it (Serenity) using Universal and it was one of the biggest grossing films of that year. The problem with most Sci-Fi shows is that they are a niche audience. So whilst they will never have the viewing figures of other shows they make up for it in merchandise and DVD sales. Something that networks forget.
    B5 is one of the few shows that made it to the end of it's run. Although every year it was threatened to be cancelled (Thats why the last episode in season 4 was so bad and the Telepath war was so short in Season 5)
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Journeyman is actually made my 20th Century Fox. From reading viewers opinions of the series on other forums, many didn't like it because the main character looked too much like the one from Dead Zone. Mad reason not to like a series in my view. Others because it was too similar to the idea of Quantum Leap. A guy jumping back through time to help others. Again mad reason not to like something!

Personally I think the concept of Journeyman was great. Even if it did steal many of it's ideas from the book, The Time Travellers Wife.

And introducing the concept that there were many with the ability to jump between their present time and the past and future could so easily have been expanded into so much more had it been given more time to evolve.

I'm actually wondering if it was canceled due to the current writers strike? With such good writers it could have continued well.

Actually writers is a big issue which I think causes a lot of problems and makes a series fall from popularity. Look at Star Gate SG-1 as a good example of this. The first few series used a similar method as Star Trek did. Getting different writers to write all the episodes. This keep stores fresh and interesting. The first couple of series did this in SG1 and it created variety and interest, with you not knowing what each episode would bring. But then they brought in a couple of in house writers who wrote everything. This quickly made many episodes feel formulaic and obviously from the same writers. Worlds started to all look the same. Everything started to converge into the same continuing story each week. And when things were started to get very interested at the end of the final series what happened? They cancelled the show! OK they do have two DVD films coming out this year (second is on hold due to writers strike though) but still. Mad.
    Last edited by Harrison; 19th November 2008 at 13:43.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The date of 05/08/09 is the scheduled date for the new movie or to the rest of the world the 8th May 2009 (Normal people go dd/mm/yy but no, the yanks have to be different). The new trailer can be found here.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always wondered why yanks always put addresses backwards. Anyone know the reason? Definitely confuses when dates are written like that and the month or date could represent either value. They should be forced to conform.

Only 6 months to go then to the new film.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    About date order, when you think about it, both us in the UK and the US are wrong. It should be Year/Month/Day, so things get orderly as recognized by computers.

For instance, 20081114 is greater than 20081025 when sorted by a computer. Put the day first in a file name and it all goes wrong!

Well, ok, I'll admit Day/Month/Year does read better for us humans.

Anyway, Star Trek XI. It looks from the trailer like a reboot of the franchise rather than a continuation. Kind of makes sense to me as a non-cannon die hard fan. The old films weren't pulling in the numbers so they've gone for a new and fresh approach to draw in casual viewers.

I must say, the new CGI Enterprise looks very strange. I don't like it anywhere near as much as the original Motion picture model version.

What do you lot think:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Warp nessels and rear of the engineering section look odd, that is true.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    We're all thinking it!!!

Here's a side on view of the new Enterprise
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL Buleste!

Although that isn't the new Enterprise. That's the one everyone mistakes as the new Enterprise, although I think I like that design better!

Some high res screen grabs here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=74192
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench