Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

How much do you like RPGs?

So, on a scale of 1-10, how much do you all like RPGs, and if you do like them which single RPG is your all time favourite?

I know of at least one member who will select the top most option!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know of at least one member who will select the top most option!
    Was that for me ? I don't know what to vote, as I'm also playing other games, but mainly RPGs, or let's say RPGs are my MOST favorite games.

Of course I know other genres, and I won't say that RPGs is the only genre I play. So I will not take the top option (but thnaks for adding it )

To 10 I have to say, that it's mainly the only genre I play, but I also play a lot of PES or some racing games, but indeed, I collect them ALL, so I might choose this option, but still no, I'll take number 9, to which I would add "collect them all" and change "with lots of other" by "some".

All time favorite should be FF7, as it was the first real japan style RPG with the old school turn based battle system I played. Before I already played Bard's Tale on my C64 (and Temple of Apshai), which I just loved, and later on my amiga I played and loved the SSI RPGs like Champions of Krynn and Buck Rogers (but of course also the Bard's Tale series and Dungeon Master).

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had to select number 8 out of ten, which means that I love playing RPG's. Started out playing the old titles on the Amiga, and have moved on to play the more modern ones on the PC. I'm sure some of you are familiar with my passion for Fallout 1 & 2. I still play these games and I'm dreaming about Fallout 3, hoping with all of my heart that it will not be an Oblivion-clone of some sort. Anyway, enough of worries about Fallout 3. Also like The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, and of course to good old Eye of the Beholder titles on the Amiga.

I felt that I couldn't select a higher number on the poll due to my interest in strategy games. I've played a lot Online, such as Red Alert 2, Generals Zero Hour, Warcraft 3 and so on.

Vintage gamer and metal head LowercaseE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted a 7 out of 10. I love RPG's, especially the older ones. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to them much anymore. I've had Breath of Fire 1 and 2 for SNES for a few years now and I haven't gotten to either of them. Sooner or later I will though because they're great games.
    --------DO NOT SUPPORT LIONSGATE FILMS-------

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to be a 7, but have to vote 5 now. RPGs are just too time-consuming for me, so I only play one now when it's supposed to be really really good.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, on a scale of 1-10, how much do you all like RPGs, and if you do like them which single RPG is your all time favourite?
    I don;t even know if i have ever played an RPG before.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    RPGs (in the traditional sense) really take too much time for me. I enjoy a good story but didn't enjoy the grinding to level up in, for example, FFX. Levelling up stats and random battles made certain parts just feel like such a chore.

I voted 5/10, I'd say I prefer action/adventure style RPG like games such as the 3D Zeldas (for simplicity sake I'm mentioning Zelda as as RPG like game, but not an RPG game per se).
    Last edited by J T; 14th January 2007 at 19:33.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to agree with you JT alot of RPGs suck the fun out of games for me, i much prefer Zelda style ones (if they can be called RPGs) like the new one (absolutely awesome). I have enjoyed some in the past but prefer more action now.
    [URL="http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/"]Hey Hey 16k by Rob Manuel[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. A lot of RPGs can become bogged down with the need to waste countless hours leveling up and earning enough money to upgrade equipment. This is sad in a way because the great RPGs that have this contain some epic stories and amazing gameplay once you get past the initial leveling. For this reason many people miss out on the best parts of these games.

Zelda games are in my view part of the RPG genre, mixed with Action Adventure. Zelda games always contain excitement and fun gameplay right from the start to the end. But don't forget that even Zelda games sometimes need a bit of grinding to get enough money to buy specific items. A link to the Past is still my favourite of all the Zelda games and I remember having to hack through countless patches of grass in the quest for some money.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just don't understand that people are saying RPGs take too long to finish, but always moan when a game only lasts for 10 hours, saying, I finished it in 8 hours, I didn't get enough for my money. Some RPGs "only" take 25-30 hours to finish, and at least you get something for your money.