Poll: How much do you like RPGs?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Totally agree. I also see this often on forums, with people moaning that a game they just purchased only lasted for X number of hours. The other great thing about many RPGs is that there is not just one linear way through the game and story and often multiple outcomes to storylines and the games ending are possible. These really open up the game to repeat playthroughs extending the game by a lot of hours gameplay potential.

The greatest example of this has to be the PSX game Star Ocean as it contains 80 possible endings to the game and over 160 in game characters to collect into your party. There are so many different gaming possibilities in just that one game that you could continue playing it though for 100's of hours and still see new content.

I think the problem for many, as I mentioned above, is that they get put off by playing one RPG that requires boring grinding to level up and the way it is done is not rewarding and just feels like a chore. As with anything, if you play the wrong example of a genre to begin with you are going to be put off trying another.

Look at FFX. That game suffered from some of the worst Linear sections in any FF game due to them focusing too much on the visuals and how the game ran on the PS2. But get through those linear parts and it is still a great game. But those who played FFX my be put off from trying the new FFXII and that would be ashame because FFXII is one of the best RPGs made to date.

There is another aspect to RPGs many don't like, especially younger people today. They require dedication and a lot of time devoted to playing them and experiencing the story. Especially if you compared it to something like a first person shooter that can be picked up and played for 10 minutes. A lot of the youth of today have such short attention spans that they cannot even get though the start of an RPG which is teaching them the mechanics of the game.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mainly like the battle system and the story's of RPGs, it's like reading a book. If I play an FPS it's always HATE, KILL, DESTROY!!!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with some of the views presented here. RPG's takes dedication, because those games aren't meant to be finished quickly. As Demon wrote, it is all about a story and you taking part in it. A bit like reading a book, but also writing one at the same time, as you are both a participant and a spectator.

Of course it takes a bit of time to get used to the way of playing such a game, learning the tricks of the trade, and finally building up a solid character. That is what I at least find enjoyable.

This takes a bit of dedication, but I think that is a good thing. In Morrowind or Fallout for example, you can easily get into situations that are more than you can handle with a level 1 or level 2 character. This means that you have to return when you have more experience or have gained new skills. When you have played for a while, it is rewarding to see the progress you have made and the more understand you have gained about the world the game takes place in.

Personally I haven't much interest for those ordinary FPS games. Some of those based on WW2 with decent storylines are ok though. At least for a few hours of playing. The other stuff doesn't do it for, unless it is Alien Breed 3D on the Amiga.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty much the same for me regarding FPS style games. It has to have a decent story to engage me and want me to find out what is going to happen next. It's probably the FPSs that have an RPG element to them that I get interested in the most HalfLife is a good example of this, or Deus Ex. And any war style conflict when done well creates an extra element of atmophere, especially WWII.

Others such as Quake bored me very quickly. It took me something like a year to complete Quake 2 after it came out because I would just pick it up, play through one level, see the next level looked the same and save the game for later. And online multiplayer death matches have never really been of that much interest to me either. I did play Quake 3 a few times online but it never got addictive as it seems for some. The only online FPS I really liked are Return to Castle Wolfenstein, or Star Wars BattleFront. Ones where you can form a party working together to fight against a similar opponent.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I just don't understand that people are saying RPGs take too long to finish, but always moan when a game only lasts for 10 hours, saying, I finished it in 8 hours, I didn't get enough for my money. Some RPGs "only" take 25-30 hours to finish, and at least you get something for your money.
    I do see what you are getting at, but as with everything it is a balance. A riveting storyline could easily keep me entertained for many many hours, but if it is repetition and grinding it would be far less likely to. At the other end of the scale, a short but incredibly fun gaming experience such as New Mario on DS or a classic Sonic, or a WarioWare is short lived but as they are so much fun it doesn't feel like you've been short-changed (and quite possibly would be played over and over again).

Possibly some would disagree and want length of play over and above anything else. I guess it boils down to personal preference and situation though.

As an interesting aside, could a footy management sim be classed as an RPG style game? You are after all taking on the role of coach, using training and shrewd moves in the transfer market to improe the overall stats of your team....

... it takes a bit of time to get used to the way of playing such a game, learning the tricks of the trade, and finally building up a solid character. That is what I at least find enjoyable.

...for example, you can easily get into situations that are more than you can handle with a level 1 or level 2 character. This means that you have to return when you have more experience or have gained new skills. When you have played for a while, it is rewarding to see the progress you have made and the more understand you have gained about the world the game takes place in.
    For sure, it is a lot of fun going back to absolutely kick the ass of someone that gave you trouble before be it due to new moves, better playing skills or improved stats.

Speaking of games that tell stories, has anyone heard of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney? I have it for the DS (it came out for GBA too). It's like a spiritual successor to the point'n'click adventures of old and is utterly brilliant. Like an interactive story book. Very linear but boy is it well told, with neat plots and wonderful characterisations. Seriously, this game was a massive winner for me and lasted quite a long time.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney?
    Yeah, I know the game, where you play an attorney and can even yell objection into your DS looked quite funny when I saw reviews at TV.

I have a TV program, called Game One (french), which has a show called Level 1, where they test games and show them for about 15-20 minutes. There I also saw Phoenix Wright. I would test it immediately, if I had a DS.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is so annoying in the UK not having any decent video game TV programs any longer. Well I don't think there are anyway.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    We also have Giga Games (german), which runs every day from 10-12pm, and weekends they always have eSports shows.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We have nothing like that. When any of the TV networks in the UK decide to make a Video Game related show in the UK they always make it very childish with presenters that know nothing about video games or the systems, and act as though they are presenting a program aimed at 4-8 year olds. It is very annoying.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney?
    Yeah, I know the game, where you play an attorney and can even yell objection into your DS looked quite funny when I saw reviews at TV.

I have a TV program, called Game One (french), which has a show called Level 1, where they test games and show them for about 15-20 minutes. There I also saw Phoenix Wright. I would test it immediately, if I had a DS.
    Yes, that's the one .

I have to say I only yelled into the mic a few times to test it out, as i played on the train and bus to work quite a lot. It was embarassing enough when I got to the case that requred fingerprint dusting (tap on the screen to spread the dust, then blow on the screen - quite hard - to remove the excess) on a packed rush hour tube

Well worth checking out if you ever get a DS. It kept me sane on those long flights to and from California, so thumbs up