Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only problem with using such an old HD these days is speed. They are much slower than current HDs. The HD I used to use in this system was a 5 year old IDE drive and it would boot a fresh copy of Windows XP in about 20-30 seconds. With the new Seagate SATA2 HD I'm now using it booted a similar fresh copy of XP in about 10 seconds!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wanted to say thank for providing that CD, Harrison. I did end up not needing it though, but I've downloaded it anyway in case of another rainy day so it'll still be useful.

I tried a demo of a program called Active UNDELETE. It scanned the drive and found all the files, let me browse them and everything. But on trying the recover function, was told that the demo didn't allow the recovery of any files larger than 64KB! Well, that's a lot of help!

However after "getting around" that problem, it did end up working fine. It copied every single one of the files to a different drive. So now I've reformatted it and put the files back, and everything is nearly as it was again. So I'm pretty happy with that result as of all the HD crashes I've had, this is the first time I've actually managed to recover one.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is good news indeed. I will have to remember the name of that program for future reference.

I don't know if they are the same program, but the Hiren's CD has Active uneraser and active partition recovery.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So active undelete? sounds good!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, it definitely works. It isn't actually made for rescuing files from broken drives, but for recovering accidentally deleted ones. Like if you managed to format the wrong drive or something. Worked fine with a corrupt filesystem too, but if you've lost files due to bad sectors on a drive then this program probably can't help you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    May I just say that this thread is a good advert as to why you should NOT try stopping a spinning hard drive with your thumb!
    This is not a signature

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Weird. The harddisk which I reported as being dead and buried a few posts back suddenly sprang back to life again. Been working fine for two days now.

Perhaps there was some other problem with it.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps it's a Jesus HDD and it's Easter Thursday when the messiah of hard drives shall rise from the dead and show the way for all HDD believers to the promised land.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All hail my harddrive!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wait till the deciples start turning up on the doorsteps. "He's not the messiah. He's a very naughty Hard Drive"
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD