Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just seen Cloverfield, in the comfort of my own private cinema (and portable too) and its not bad at all, the background couching (er, COUGHING!!! Damn my half-addled brain) of some unnintentional co-stars ad-libbing their lines didn't detract too much like it would have done had it been some medieval romp!

On the handheld, you do lose some of the detail, but the smaller screne does also remove some of the imperfections, which isnt too bad.

Will see it when it is releazed over here tho.
    Last edited by v85rawdeal; 2nd February 2008 at 15:06.
    This is not a signature

Vintage gamer and metal head LowercaseE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    True, but I would personally rather own films on a format I know I can buy a compatible player for years down the line.
    I'm not too worried about that at this point. I mean, you can still get VCRs pretty easily so I'm sure HDDVD players won't be THAT hard to find. Also, even though it looks pretty well like they're dead in the water, in the back of my mind, I still hold out some small shred of hope for them. It's not much and certainly not a realistic hope, but it's there nonetheless. Evidently, HDDVD is going to have a Superbowl ad which they payed almost 3 million for. If they really and truly were dead and done, that would seem like an awful waste of money and time. Eh, who knows...
    --------DO NOT SUPPORT LIONSGATE FILMS-------

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, but then again, some TV shows throw all their remaining budget into the final ever show, just so it goes out with a bang, rather than a fizzle.
    This is not a signature

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LowercaseE View Post
    Evidently, HDDVD is going to have a Superbowl ad which they payed almost 3 million for. If they really and truly were dead and done, that would seem like an awful waste of money and time. Eh, who knows...
    Only problem there is that American Football and the Superbowl are only in the USA. This means there are wasting 3 million on an advert for HDDVD that can only be seen by a maximum of 4.5% of the world!

As I've thought since the start of the HD format war, if HD-DVD was going to win, it would only ever be in the US market, with Blu-Ray everywhere else.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Film: Meet The Spartans
    Genre: Comedy (Might have to check with Trade Descriptions Act about that one)
    Cast: Sean Maguire, Kevin Sorbo, Carmen Electra, Method Man

Synopsis: In a send-up of recent movies amd events, Sean Maguire sets off to look for a career after Eastenders, and ends up failing. There are one or two funny moments, but most of the time it feels like having open heart surgery without anesthetic or even a half-decent doctor.

The plot is 300, to the point that they even read a review of the movie, commenting that it's just 'a cheap rip-off of 300' however they forgot the word CRAP in it (before the word cheap). This in itself would be semi-funny if it wasn't done so many times before in various forms, with Spaceballs' 'Spaceballs: The Video' sequence being the very best of the concept.

Would I recommend watching this? Er, maybe, possibly if there is nothing else to be doing (like dodging traffic on the motorway), but it depends on who's buying the "cinema" tickets, if you catch my drift. If you're paying to see a film, I'd suggest that you go see There Will Be Blood (Review forthcoming) rather than this tosh.

Funny at points (the teaser trailer has most of them), but it's not really worth being the top film in the US.

Overall: 3/10
    Last edited by v85rawdeal; 3rd February 2008 at 17:19. Reason: Needed to make it look pretty
    This is not a signature

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Idiocracy

Not particuarly new but currently showing on Sky Movies.

Two people end up 500 years in the future after a botched military experiment.
    (Shades of Buck Rodgers)
    Unlike Buck Rodgers, nobody has invented space battle cruisers and android servants because the IQ levels have plummeted.

The man and woman are just average people but are the now the most intelligent people in the world.

The plot involves the two characters having to save the world but are hindered by the idiots in charge and all around them.

No great challenge to the intellect but a good bit of easy watching comedy.

7/10
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I watched Idiocracy on Sky last weekend and am seriously thinking of writing to Sky to demand two hours of my life back! It was some of the worst TV I've seen in a long time. The idea was good, but the execution was really bad. Too American, and in my view not fictional enough. A lot of the US is already much like the future portrayed in the film! 2/10 from me.

Alien vs Predator 2

I finally got to see this film the other day and due to the negative press it's received I wasn't expecting much. It wasn't amazing, but it was enjoyable enough just the same. Pretty average in my view. Probably the worst film so far out of all the Alien and Predator based films to date, and definitely more a b-movie/tv movie feel to it than previous ones.

The biggest disappointment was that you didn't get to see much of the Aliens at all. The face huggers had more screentime than the full sized ones, and a lot of the CGI distance shots looked computer generated as their movement wasn't realistic. It still had some nice Predator sequences which were nicely done. Favourite for me was when he was in the sewers hunting the Aliens and set the laser traps on the walls.

Overall, if you like Alien and Predator films and didn't completely hate the first vs film, then you should enjoy this. At least most of the human main actors in the film get killed which is always a big plus point for any sci-fi horror film.

5/10

Mimic 3: Sentinel

I really enjoyed the original Mimic and noticed that the third film was on the Sci-Fi channel the other night so thought I would give it a go. Compared to the first film it isn't that great, and anyone who hasn't seen the original will be slightly lost as this one doesn't go into any detail on who they are or where they came from.

Most of the film consists of a boy living most of his life in his apartment room due to allergies to the outside world (boy in the bubble). He spends most of his time taking pictures of the alleyway below and apartment block across from him and creating a montage of the scene on his wall, constantly evolving it and updating it with new images from recent photos he has taken.

During his watching of the outside world he started to notice some of the bugs looming in the shadows, and eventually witnesses what he thinks is a killing, but doesn't get to see much or take any pictures. Up to this point the film is quite boring with nothing much happening. It is only at the very end when some quite violent scenes take place with the bugs attacking and killing most of the film's small cast.

Overall it's OK if slow to get going. It's possibly worth watching for the final 30 minutes, but not a patch on the original. I've not seen the second film though so have no idea what that was about (other than the main Mimic bug theme) so maybe that one is better.

5/10

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ratatouille

Starring: Ian Holm, Peter O'Toole
    Seen at: Blu-ray

I didn't expect to like Ratatouille so much. The trailers left me rather lukewarm (even though I loved the previous Pixar feature films), so I didn't have high expectations. But when I went to see it in the cinema last year, I was pleasantly surprised. Pixar yet again managed to produce a heartwarming tale, and it's presented in an eye-popping fashion: the details of the CG here are astonishing, the animation top notch, the voice acting spot on. Whoever thought a story about gourmet kitchening couldn't possibly work will eat their words after seeing this flick. It's funny, it's touching and it's entertaining, and can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of age.

The Blu-ray release is impressive to say the least, with a pristine 1080p picture totally free of noise, grain and other impurities. The beginning of the film might appear a bit soft and subdued, but as the movie progresses, you'll start to see more and more scenes that literally pop out. Likewise, the soundtrack is equally superb, with an uncompressed audio track provided for those with the right equipment. The extras provided aren't too shabby either: an interesting featurette that tries to draw parallels between movie making and fine cuisine, two Pixar short films, deleted scenes, movie trailers and an interactive cooking game.

All in all, this disc definitely deserves a 9 from me. If you are a new owner of a BR player, and want to show your friends something impressive, this might just be the disc to show them.

Score: 9 out of 10

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rescue Dawn

Starring: Christian Bale, Steve Zahn, Jeremy Davies
    Seen at: Home (Blu-ray)

Now, this is a movie I didn't really expect that much of (despite me being a fan of Christian Bale), but ended up absolutely loving.

Rescue Dawn tells the true story of one USAF fighter pilot Dieter Dengler (Bale) who, after being shot down over Laos prior to the start of the Vietnam war, has to use every resource available to him, and every ounce of willpower to survive the harsh and cruel prison that is the jungle. Imprisoned by Laotian forces, he has to face constant torture and embarassment by the prison camp guards, with no hope of rescue. The only friendly faces around him are the few surviving fellow POWs who are imprisoned with him, but the fact that they themselves have lost all hope of ever returning home again after having spent over 2 years as prisoner isn't particularly encouraging.

The ordeals of that these prisoners go through is brilliantly portrayed by Bale, Zahn and Davies, and Bale again shows just how versatile he is as an actor here. You won't see any Rambo-like heroics - just a gritty, realistic depiction of the harshness of war.

Rescue Dawn is highly recommended.

Score: 9 out of 10

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't forget that the story is actually true and for once hasn't been too hammed up by hollywood.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD