I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a Wiki Weird World.

After looking uop my village on Wiki the other day i just thought it could be a way of getting to know each other by posting a link to your home village/town/city/shack on WIkipedia and then saying what you think of it.
    Here's mine Cheddleton
    or for the nearest town try Leek.
    The fact that one of the myths about cheddleton involves a curate eating an egg tells you a lot about Cheddleton. Leek however is slightly more interesting as to have a legend about a Mermaid in one of the most landlocked areas of Britain is unique.
    However it does miss out an important fact about Cheddleton and that is that all the destroyed birds who have Bird flu are incinerated at the local meat rendering plant. Excuse me a minute i fell a cold coming on.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice idea.

Mine is the village of Wellow, in Hampshire. Not far from the town of Romsey.

Or more precisely East Wellow. As mentioned in the text there hasn't ever really been true East and West villages of Wellow, with both being under a single council. But there is quite a distance between the East and West sections of the village, so everyone has always called them East and West. Also East Wellow is widely known as the richer part of the village.

Of most interest is the Church, which dates from 1215, according to the Wiki page, but I'm sure it is actually older. I will have to check. And it is famous as the burial site of Florence Nightingale as well as the rest of her family members. Plus the stately home of the Nightingale family, Embley Park, is just down the road. Interestingly that used to have its own private road running from the estate, across to the old Salisbury road. This is now long gone, but part of it is now a public road called Gardener's Lane.

Also of some historical interest, but only briefly mentioned is the Red Rover pub. I forget how old it is, but it was one of the main stopping locations for the London bound stage coaches and dates back a long way.

Another interesting place is the petrol station in the village, located along the A36 at the western end of the village. This dates back to the beginning of the 20th century just as cars were first being seen on the roads, and still has the original pumps on display. The first car crash in Hampshire/Wiltshire was also only a few hundred yards down the road from this petrol station.

Also mentioned is Canada, which is inside the New Forest. This is so called because it was originally a settlement of people from Canada.

If anyone is interested I could also mention many things about the near town of Romsey, which has a lot of historical history.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My hometown is that of Adelaide.It is the fifth largest city in Australia, and capital of our state, South Australia. It is capital of the only non-prisoner related state! woo no convicts here
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Submeg View Post
    My hometown is that of Adelaide.It is the fifth largest city in Australia, and capital of our state, South Australia. It is capital of the only non-prisoner related state! woo no convicts here
    Apart from the ones ion Adelaide Womens Prison, Adelaide Pre release centre, Adelaide Remand centre and a few others. But apart from that no convicts.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    convicts and criminals are two different kettle of fish....at least we didnt START with them
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I live in Wickersley - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickersley
    Not much information on it, but I can confirm that Wickersley School does have around 1800 people.

I also live in Broom - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broom%2C_South_Yorkshire
    I can't confirm any of the wiki stuff except that there are definately pubs there and that it is near Whiston.

Both are nice areas and are located in Rotherham - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham

Also quite interesting is RCAT's wiki page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherh...and_Technology - I think someone needs to learn how to write a decent article.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Downloads
    Uploads
    Living in Portsmouth is quite dull and boring...

BUT...

It has played home of some of the greatest authors ever, and the great Peter Sellers. So it's not all bad!
    This is not a signature

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I'm from Porsgrunn. Not really that much to add to what the article says, apart from that I think it's a nice place to live. Small enough to not be too overcrowded, and big enough to not be lacking anything.