Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I've used ATI cards for a long time in some of my systems and have never had any problems with their graphics drivers. At the moment I have two systems running 9800 Pro's and another with a 9600. All of these systems have been reinstalled over time, drivers updated etc... and never any issues.

I would recommend using the free Driver Cleaner tool however to completely clean the system of existing graphics drivers before installing a newer version just to make sure there is nothing on the system HD that might confuse things.

However my current main system has been running an nVidia 7800 GT for about 2 years now and it has been a great card without any real issues. Plus the graphics drivers do seem easier to install and setup compared to ATI offerings. And it has made me want to upgrade to another nVidia card instead of ATI when the time comes.
The issues i've had with the drivers are well known. Several time after uninstalling old drivers and installing new drivers i kept getting BSODS until eventually ATI came up with a stable driver which then continually brings up a ati2mtag error in the event log to which ATI's response is it is a known problem and if you don't want the error go back and try 6.10 version of the driver. The other annoying thing is I cannot use the full resolution that my monitor is capable of because of ATI's drivers. The general response on the net is that ATI are crap at writing drivers and as software is easier than building hardware i don't hold out much hope for them.