Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Rants

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to know you are making progress with the house harrison .

Important but not very nice question... Is there much chance of getting flooded again?

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good question, also here in Luxembourg it's raining like hell again since 24 hours, it's really horrible outside at the moment. What's the situation in the UK?

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure about other places, but here in South Yorkshire its fine. The rain is probably giving us some time off floods, after the disaster 5 years ago.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    Is there much chance of getting flooded again?
    Chichester and the surrounding areas such as Bognar Regis and Littlehampton have always been at flood risk. However after a really bad flood in the '90s, that cut Bognor Regis off and residents were stranded, there was a lot of flood prevention work carried out to redirect rivers causing the issues and also additional sea defences.

The recent floods were however different because it was caused by the volume of water that fell in one night. They say we had 1-3 months worth of rain in the one day. Our drains couldn't cope with the volume of water and when the tide rose the drains then had nowhere to drain to (as Chichester is very low lying) so the watch just sat in the drains and it built up.

It could happen again if we get the same amount of water fall, but it hasn't ever happened where I live in the village of Fishbourne before.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Good question, also here in Luxembourg it's raining like hell again since 24 hours, it's really horrible outside at the moment. What's the situation in the UK?
    We have had a lot of rain this week. Last weekend and Monday was really bad and rained all day, but so far the rest of this week has just seen a few showers. And today has been sunny and quite warm. I managed to get a lot of the garden tidied up at our own house on Tuesday and Dad came down with his pickup to take all the garden rubbish to the local tip. I also managed to do a bit more in the garden today and Thomas even laid out in the sun on his rug and enjoyed watching the trees blowing in the wind.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quick change of subject since this is the rants topic.

Anyone find that when they have (NHS) hospital appointments, they tend to end up canceling them?

I waited ages for my ear/nose/throat appointment, and a week after the letter finally came, they canceled it, and the replacement appointment was in a months time. TBH I'd almost forgotten what the problem was in that time!

Fortunately the appointment was successful and I didn't have to wait too long in the waiting room. Still have no idea why they need 5 different reception desks though.

The consultant decided it would be beneficial to have septoplasty to correct my deviated septum and they booked me in for next Wednesday! I'm surprised they managed it so quick . Unfortunately my pre admission assessment (last Friday) also got canceled and I had to rearrange it for yesterday.

Who's betting they'll find something better to do next Wednesday? Or maybe that they'll find I have MRSA and can't come into hospital?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say that we have had brilliant service from the NHS with Chichester's St Richard's Hospital. Throughout all of my wife's miscarriages and then with the many complications during her final successful pregnancy, and during labour and the after care for both her and Thomas were very good. We got appointments quickly (most of the time we would leave a consultation, go to the main desk and book directly for the next).

I suppose Mother and Baby related health care has to take a priority over other treatment in the hospital though, so that is probably why, but we still received excellent care. Even things like being sent to get a blood test was immediate, only having to wait 5-10 minutes directly walking from the consultant to the path. lab.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I generally pretty happy with the NHS. Its just the long wait for appointments and cancellations that are really annoying.

I had physiotherapy earlier this year for my hypermobile shoulder and that was very good. One of the therapists wanted me to have a blood test and that was done promptly by a practice nurse. Bit of a contrast to my mother who virtually always reports negative experiences with physiotherapy.

Rant 2:

The bus was 30 minutes late in getting me home today due to the roadworks in Balby. I hope the roadworks will cause an improvement. Not really sure what they are doing though

Downloads
    Uploads
    Meh @ the Rantage but just to conclude my episode of severe DATA loss as earlier, I now have an answer.....

IRST drivers ffs.....

I was of the opinion my re-install had the lastest drivers, but 10.1.0 ish was required for drives over 2TB to function correctly & I had version 8.x.x.x installed ffs. (default Win7 64 Bit-pre SP1 install)

Put the IRST 11.x.x.x drivers on & the drive jumps from 746.52GB to 2.794.52TB......

It's about bloody time Micro-SHAFT had an SP2 for Win7 X64 Bit.....

I mean...have you seen the sh!t?.....

Install Net Framework 4 from the official download & another nearly 200Mb wants to download as updates......creating more Update Folders on the boot drive causing more DATA management and fragmentation, aka...f'kin BLOATWARE!!!!!

Anyways, at least I now know WHY!!

Grrrrr......
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought your problem was a 2TB limit issue. Glad you managed to work out the cause and fix it.

Regarding Win 7 SP1. I actually think M$ did a pretty good job with SP1. If you install a default Win 7, with no service pack, the number of updates, .net installs, and other stuff is quite mad. It can take hours to download it all and bring a system up to date. Install SP1 and the number of updates is dramatically reduced to a manageable number. Yes there are still quite a few large ones, such as IE9 or especially the .net framework updates but things have to continue being developed, so updates will appear.

OK M$ are far from perfect and need to fix a lot of bugs and security risks in their OSs often, but it really annoys me when people moan about new updates. M$ are actively supporting their users and the OS by doing this. Better than releasing an OS and leaving users to fend for themselves, bugs and security issues galore. Or the Apple method of making users buy the OS again every year but releasing a point release under a new name with a couple of shiny new features.. exactly what M$'s free service packs have been doing for years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also get peeeved with folk moaning about M$ updates. One Business client I have always turns off the automatic updates on her comuter. Then when she gets an infection, the attitude is: - Why didn't Sophos stop it for all the money I paid??

"Because your Installation isn't up to date madam. The Server & all the other clients are up to date & are not infected, but you are out of date with lack of updates & infected. Here's my bill to put it right for you".
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.