Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Rants

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    M8 is a grid reference in battleships not a ****ing word.
    This particularly tickled me, can't beat a good rant!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do hate auctions with brief or no descriptions. You see them with just the part saying its a used item filled in, and nothing else at all in the actual item's page. They are hoping it will sell purely on the title and an image. Mad. I always go to a lot of trouble to list things on ebay, and put effort into a details description, giving as much information as I can along with images, and normally they sell fairly quickly.

And you still find the same idiots on there as always.

I contacted one seller recently to ask about postage costs, but I got no reply back. I did bid on and win the item anyway, then he sent me the invoice with a message saying he wouldn't be posting it for a week as he would be away, so I didn't rush to pay for the item, sending payment a couple of days later, 4 days before he said he would post it.

The item finally arrived ok about 2 weeks later, so it was much longer than he said he was going to post it. I left him positive feedback anyway as the item was in good condition, but the packaging it arrived in was open so it could have easily fallen out had it not been for the postman taking care. So I said in the feedback "Item as described. But postage a bit slow, poor packing and limited comms." He sent me positive feedback back in return, but wrote "Paid eventually, Needs to be less anal. Hassled me endlessly prior to bidding."

If being anal is asking a question about an item you are selling, and paying for an item 2 days after winning an auction because the seller said they won't bother posting it for at least a week, then I sure hope they never get a job in sales of any kind. Idiot!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a 5 pin DIN lead off ebay in November. It didn't turn up when I expected it to, but I gave it a bit longer as some of the post was delayed due to the recent snow. I notified the seller and he said to wait a bit longer so I did, and in the mean time, I ordered another cable from CPC, as I was ordering some other stuff from them at the same time.

The one from ebay still hadn't come and Royal Mail seemed to have delivered all the post that had been waiting for me in Rotherham. I notified the seller the other day and he posted me another one.

Today, both the replacement which was posted the other day, and one with a post mark of 29th November turned up on my door mat. So now I have three 5 pin DIN cables. I suppose I will offer to pay the seller for the additional cable and keep both as spares.

Also, I bought some Specialized Sub-Zero gloves from a cycling shop. They had the 2009 model on half price for 20 quid (normally 40 quid). They have a very good reputation for keeping hand warm in very cold weather. And we have certainly had sub-zero temperatures recently, so what better way to test them than to go out for a ride.

Well, my hands were freezing for most of the journey, just as they were when I used them the other week. Fortunately though, my fingers didn't go numb. Normally with thinner gloves my fingers will go numb. However, on my way back from the shops today, when I was going up hill (and putting more effort in), and the sun was shining, my hands were a bit warmer.

I highly doubt that this is down to the gloves being unsatisfactory. I have worn many pairs of gloves in the cold over the years and I have never worn a pair which have actually kept my fingers warm. But at least they didn't go numb, which is a good start as I hate it when they go numb.

I also bought some neoprene overshoes to wear over my cycling shoes. Apparently these are supposed to keep your feet nice and warm. Well, they didn't keep them warm as such, but again, they stopped my toes from going numb, and did block out the wind.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I updated Opera to its latest version, 11, on my Windows XP system.

Whoever designed the new address bar wants shooting.

It removes the HTTP bit and any query strings. How am I suppose to know where I am if that is removed?

Fortunately, that is an easily turn offable 'feature'.

But, now it is trying to rip off Chrome and IE by introducing the pointless and annoying feature of graying out everything but the domain. Why? It doesn't do anything about make the address harder to read. Even if it is all the same colour, it is still obvious that I am currently on classicamiga.com because it says so, regardless of the colour.

I'm not sure whether it does this graying out thing in Linux, as I am still using version 9 on Linux, and the Linux version doesn't try and make me update, it just recommends updating using the system's own updater, and, there are no newer versions in the repository.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My copy of Opera updated itself to 11 last week, but I only had a quick look before closing it again. Hasn't spotted the removal of the prefix to URLs. I suppose it does make URLs a lot more user friendly for general internet home users. Browsers tend to automatically add the http:// or https:// part anyway. Not sure about the greying out of the URL though. I suppose it emphasises the domain more, which a lot of people will like.

The thing I do like about Opera is how fast it is, and also that they are continuing to do things their own way. It gives you a lot more screen real estate than most other browsers.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My main experience with Opera is that it does everything on its own, that you can do in Firefox but need addons for.

Apparently the new address bar is for 'the majority of internet users who may not understand query string'. Pointless for me though.

Does anyone here use IE these days? I still occaisionally use IE5 and IE6 on older systems just because it is there, but have only used IE7 briefly at school and college.

Todays rants
    My place at Doncaster College is still not on UCAS' system. I called Doncaster College and they say they cannot put the place on the system because it says that I haven't paid my UCAS fee.

The cheque cleared on the 20th January so they certainly have been paid.

Also, the Jobcentre still haven't sorted the claim which I made on the 17th January.

Also, my ex-employer appears to not have paid me all that they owe me. I will have to write to them to query this.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure if I have mentioned it, but the grant I got for my tuition fee on my failed HNC course (which started in 2009) was recovered by the Student Loans Company.

Therefore I received an invoice from the college for a revised tuition fee (much lower than the original as it only covers the time I was there).

The Student Loans Company would not confirm to me that they recovered the grant until recently. (I had to confirm this before considering paying the college as the college *could* just be making this up).

However, I don't think the SLC were right to recover the grant in the first place. Unfortunately, they have ignored my letters and not returned my telephone calls despite requesting a callback from an assessor several times.

In the mean time, college remains with no money and now the matter has been passed onto a company called ACT Credit Management Ltd [read: Debt Collectors].

Of course, had the SLC given me correct information when I asked for it, and replied to my enquiries, this whole issue could have been dealt with back in February.

Don't get me started on Jobcentre Plus.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Swit...89721&sr=1-139

I'm curious to know why you would buy a switch with a can of dust removal spray, wet wipe dispenser, and foam cleaner.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone know what a tinterworldwidewebnetthing is?

Downloads
    Uploads
    No idea, have you tried looking on the tinterworldwidewebnetthing