Thread: Random Rants

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Totally agree!

Also, revert prisons to those as seen in the 18th and 19th centuries. Stone walls, bars for windows and dirt for a floor. Why do they deserve furniture? Let along radios, TVs, computers???

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont' ****ing believe it. That piece of shit bastard Cougarrinard has done it to me again. A few months ago he bought a comic from me in good condition and unlike him I charged the exact postage and packing price. I treated him like I do every customer and as I had 100% feedback and a star rating of at least 4.8 then I treat everyone well. Then today on what was probably the last day for him to leave feedback he leaves a negative with "cannot recommend a single thigs about seller or ID, best avoided, bad P&P, comms". What an utter a total piece of shit!!!!!! I was naive to have let him buy off me and think that he would've either forgotten or have been more mature about things so that's my own fault but at the moment I'm ready to kill the bastard. I've raised a dispute with ebay and if they remove the feedback then I'll be happy. If they don't then can anyone recommend another auction site?
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    And ebay replies that they don't remove negative feedback on these occasions. In other words they side with the person who earns them more money. I will follow ebay's recommendations to see if this matter can be resolved. If I get no joy then it's either set up a new account or leave ebay altogether. The other thing I can do is look on the Jolly Rogers Cookbook under letter bombs.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Free Weekend!!

So Steam offered Unreal tournament 3 Black Edition (or something like that) FREE! to try for last weekend only, I noticed on Friday so I tried to download it but no joy, to early I think so I'll try again tomorrow. Saturday afternoon 3pm I get home from work and think yeah I'll get that game downloaded and try it out, only to be greeted by the message "Steam servers are too busy please try again in a couple of minutes", OK I think maybe just a glitch I will wait the couple of minutes and try again, and again and again and again and again and again and then it was Sunday. So I am up about 8:30am on Sunday (fell asleep watching a film, I feel so old), figure I will start THAT download before breakfast by lunchtime I will be testing out a cool looking game with a vision to buy it and kick some multiplayer arse. No "Steam servers are too busy please try again in a couple of minutes" OK I think maybe just a glitch I will wait the couple of minutes and try again, and again and again and again and again and again and then it was Today and the "FREE" Weekend is over and the game is on offer at £9 but I haven't played it so I am not buying it and now after one Steam purchase I think I don't like them anymore. I did manage to download the new Watchmen game demo which incidentally I won't be buying either because it sucks, probably worse than the film I haven't seen yet but will be going to see this week sometime purely out of curiosity because I loved the graphic novel and feel sorry for Alan Moore who doesn't want any of his novels made into motion pictures. Understandable after all the ones they have ruined "V for Vendetta," "From Hell," "Constantine" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and now "Watchmen".
    End Rant.
    [URL="http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/"]Hey Hey 16k by Rob Manuel[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
    Law in western countries generally is far too lenient. I wouldn't even call the sentences we see nowadays 'punishment' - more like, free lodging, TV and meals. Hardly a deterrent for the crooks out there.

Bring back the death sentence for murderers. Cut off the hands of thieves. Castrate rapists. Voila ... dramatically reduced crime rates.
    In that case, let's hope you don't get wrongfully convicted for rape and theft...... That would suck.

Which reminds me off a funny story... Back when I was in college I used to do summerjobs as a correctional officer at Ila (A maximum security penitentiary back in Norway) Anyhoo... there was this one inmate that had lost all his fingers in several..erm.. accidents.. anyways.. he threatened a buddy of mine that he was gonna literally kick his ass once he got out in 10 years. My colleague just looks at him for a couple of seconds then responds quite sardonically..
    "Yep... that's pretty much ALL you can do."

FNARR FNARR!

Don't worry people.. plenty more funny stories were that came from..

My location

Downloads
    Uploads

I h8 txt spk!!!!!!!!

Today I sent an email to a ebay customer advising him that his parcel has been posted today. The reply I've gotten back is
    ok m8 np
    via email. Now, English is my first language and like most British people, people for whom English is a second language have a better idea about the structure etc of the language. However I have to say that text speak is the most vile thing to happen. The thing is now that phones can send bigger messages there isn't any need for it anyway and why the **** use it in an email when size doesn't count!!!!!!!! M8 is a grid reference in battleships not a ****ing word. The English language is a beautifully versatile language don't pollute it by using text speak.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Txt speak does annoy me too. Especially in emails. I sometimes let people off if I know they are sending an email reply from their phone though because mobiles are still very slow to type full words on unless you have something like the N97 with a qwerty keyboard.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't worry, the coming generation will be illiterate anyway so they will ALL be flipping burgers.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a mod on a DS forum and one guy has illegibly been posting every single day for an infinite lives cheat (or never die cheat as he put it) for an old DS game Call of Duty: World at War that he has seen on another site but has not been put into the cheat codes for the R4. After several days of him begging for this cheat code I told him stop posting everyday and wait patiently. Several times. In bold. In large fonts. With him asking for me to be nice as he is 17 you know. I thought the only way to shut this "person" up (I'm still trying to be polite but I can feel the vein on my temple ready to explode) I'll have to see if I can add the cheat myself. So I download the EU ROM and find that it all ready has an infinite lives cheat. I download the US ROM and that doesn't. So I look on the website where the cheat is and it's for the US version. So I get a cheat editor and add the cheat to the database and create a usable version for the R4. I then load up the game with the cheat enabled but to get to a part to test the new cheat I have to waste my time with basic training. Finally I get to a part to test the cheat and it doesn't work. So I post on the forum for people not to waste their time editing the cheat codes as it doesn't work and I suggested that he uses the EU version and just renames his .sav file. Today, the numpty, brain dead moron of a yank (who can't do the cheat editing because he has no PC and is posting from his Wii) says that the cheat does work as a friend has tried it for him and then double posted saying "yes but EU HAVE NO NEVER DIE CHEAT[[[[[" even though it has. I know because I've tried it. And the fecker is getting mad at me for trying to help him!!!!! So I've ended up just leaving it with
    "Yes it does and believe me the cheat for infinite lives does not work on the US rom that is downloadable from the main site I know I wasted my time downloading the US and EU ROM and programmed the cheat for the US ROM and waded through basic training only for it not to work.

If you're not happy with all the effort I've put into this for you then you can always go out, buy a PC and try it for yourself."

If that muppet is an example of the produce from the American education system then the world is doomed.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are the quality of ebay auction pages getting worse?

I'm sure these days, descriptions are often far more brief than they used to be, and pictures are much worse.

If you click on the picture, it will open one which is only a tiny bit bigger than the one in the listing. Some auctions do have larger images but I expect the seller has to pay for this. Obviously this does not apply if someone hosts the images themselves (like I do) and inserts them using HTML. But most auctions tend to use ebay image hosting.

A lot of auctions also just seem to have a copied-and-pasted description/spec list from the manufacturers/suppliers website with no original writing. Or just one of those boxes where ebay fills in the specs for you. When I tried to sell my Newton Messagepad, it tried to automatically make me include some detailed information, but I don't think it had any luck in finding anything. In fact, I didn't even include specs, as the kind of person who would want to buy a Newton would probably know what (s)he was looking for. It was bought by someone who appears to be a bit of an Apple collector.

Perhaps now we are well into the 21st Century and every tom dick or harry has internet access, loads of people who don't have a clue how to use a computer want to get rid of their old technology which they know nothing about so use ebay which is the biggest site and tries to do it all for you.