Thread: RPGs on NDS

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

RPGs on NDS

It is getting harder and harder to resist buying a Nintendo DS, with more and more great RPGs being released for the handheld each month.

This month alone there are some great new RPGs and SRPGs released on the system. Biggest among these has to be FFXII: Revenant Wings, a direct sequel to the PS2 FFXII, so any fan of the series and FFXII will only be able to play this if they have, or buy a DS.

Also out this month is Front Mission. An updated port of the original SNES game, that for the first time sees a western English version (before this a fan based translated version of the SNES original has been available). I've been a big fan of the Front Mission series, so being able to play a proper English version of the original is very tempting.

It does however seem that most DS games are mostly updates or ports of older titles, which is one thing that has put me off of the platform. Another this month, Contra 4, is a merged rehash of all the previous games in the series, but will probably still appeal to most Contra fans.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played Front Mission 3 on the PSX and FM 4 on the PS2, great tactical mecha games. I've also seen a trailer of the upcoming FFXII for the DS, and it's looking really great. Unfortunately I don't have a DS, and I'm not going to buy one.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah! But I remember you also said that about the PSP.

I don't have a DS either, and was wondering what the emulation is like these days. I will have to investigate and try it out.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

rpg

I just don`t get the rpg`s on the NDS really...

I mean, I loved Balders Gate on the GBA..
    Give me Faery Tale Adventure anyday...

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What don't you get about them? Most are closer to the old school 16-bit RPGs of the SNES era than anything newer and I tend to prefer that style over a lot of the newer 3D releases on newer systems.

It is however true that many of these RPGs are still not well translated from the Japanese originals, so they lose a lot of the story humour or interesting details.