Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gamespot Editor Fired Over Kane & Lynch Review?

Kotaku.com heard an unsettling rumor today from an anonymous tipster that longtime game reviewer Jeff Gerstmann from Gamespot has been let go. That wouldn't necessarily be newsworthy, but the conditions under which he was allegedly dismissed were. According to the source, Gerstmann was fired "on the spot" due to advertiser pressure for his review of Eidos' Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. A visit to Gamespot shows that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game has taken over the site very prominently, with backgrounds and multiple banner ads all pitching Kane & Lynch. Allegedly, publisher Eidos "took issue with the review and threatened to pull its ad campaign."

Jeff's review was certainly less than glowing. He assigned the game a 6.0, otherwise known as "Fair" on the Gamespot scale. The game is currently enjoying a Metacritic score in the 65 to 69 range, which the site describes as "mixed or average reviews." According to our tipster, it wasn't necessarily the score that was reason for Gerstmann's rumored axing, but the "tone" of the review.

Gerstmann has been no stranger to controversial reviews, as his scores of 10 for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and 8.8 for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had sensitive internet users up in arms. It's now possible that many bitter fanboys may have had their wishes for his firing granted.

Interesting. So much for reviewers being objective, eh? Can sites like Gamespot still be trusted when review scores are being (or supposed to be) determined by how much money is being shoved their way by publishers?

Microsoft: "Here's $1.000.000. Giev 10 for Halo 3, plix."
    Gamespot: "Would you like that 10 with chocolate chip cookies or strawberry jam on top?"

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Geez, pretty ridiculous. Makes it more obvious that the game sucks dont cha think? But then again, who gives 10 for THPS?
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Every review for the game I've read has given it a 6 and I've now played the game and completely agree, especially with the review in Edge magazine.

The game is quite weak in gameplay, being just a run and shoot game and when compared to current releases such as COD4 and Crysis it falls way short of the mark.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    More on the matter below.

In short, objectivity in game journalism is dead. I never doubted that there have been cases of bribery here and there, but to find out that publishers/advertisers actually have that much influence? It's all about the money, not about providing the consumer with objective, reliable information.

We're very clear in our review policies that all reviews are vetted by the entire team before they go live - everything that goes up is the product of an entire team's output. Our freelancers are especially guilty of making snide comments, but those are always yanked before the review goes live, because everyone in the office reads these reviews and makes sure they're up to our standards before they get put up. If there was a problem with his reviews, then it would've been a problem with the entire team.

Firing him without telling anyone implies that anyone else on this team can be fired at the drop of a hat as well, because none of us are writing any differently or meaner or less professionally than we were two years ago before the management changed. I'm sure management wants to spin this as the G-Man being unprofessional to take away from the egg on their face that results after a ten-year employee gets locked out of his office and told to leave the premises and then no one communicates anything to us about it until the next day.

This management team has shown what they're willing to do. Jeff had ten years in and was ****ing locked out of his office and told to leave the building.

What you might not be aware of is that GS is well known for appealing mostly to hardcore gamers. The mucky-mucks have been doing a lot of "brand research" over the last year or so and indicating that they want to reach out to more casual gamers. Our last executive editor, Greg Kasavin, left to go to EA, and he was replaced by a suit, Josh Larson, who had no editorial experience and was only involved on the business side of things. Over the last year there has been an increasing amount of pressure to allow the advertising teams to have more of a say in the editorial process; we've started having to give our sales team heads-ups when a game is getting a low score, for instance, so that they can let the advertisers know that before a review goes up. Other publishers have started giving us notes involving when our reviews can go up; if a game's getting a 9 or above, it can go up early; if not, it'll have to wait until after the game is on the shelves.

I was in the meeting where Josh Larson was trying to explain this firing and the guy had absolutely no response to any of the criticisms we were sending his way. He kept dodging the question, saying that there were "multiple instances of tone" in the reviews that he hadn't been happy about, but that wasn't Jeff's problem since we all vet every review. He also implied that "AAA" titles deserved more attention when they were being reviewed, which sounded to all of us that he was implying that they should get higher scores, especially since those titles are usually more highly advertised on our site.

I know that it's all about the money, and hey, I like money. I like advertising because it pays my salary. Unfortunately after Kasavin left the church-and-state separation between the sales teams and the editorial team has cracked, and with Jeff's firing I think it's clear that the management now has no interest at all in integrity and are instead looking for an editorial team that will be nicer to the advertisers.

When companies make games as downright contemptible as Kane and Lynch, they deserve to be called on it. I guess you'll have to go to Onion or a smaller site for objective reviews now, because everyone at GS now thinks that if they give a low score to a high-profile game, they'll be ****canned. Everyone's ****ing scared and we're all hoping to get Josh Larson removed from his position because no one trusts him anymore. If that doesn't happen then look for every game to be Game of the Year material at GameSpot.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's actually down to marketing. Companies pay a lot to be able to sponsor a site as they have with this game, and if that same site then has a less than favourable review it's not going to go down well with the company paying the site a lot of money to advertise the game.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea well if the site advertises a game to be good, and it turns out sh1t...then in the end they will lose money because people wont believe their site..lose lose situ
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, the old story.

Something similar happened to a favorite computer magazine of mine I used to read seven years ago; Hoog Spel, an independent Dutch gaming magazine.

When they weren't as favourable to games that the publishers and importers really wanted to sell well they stopped receiving adds and game copies to reviews.

But instead of giving into the demands they decided to stop instead, not really feeling there was such a demand anymore for an independent gaming magazine when magazines such as Power Unlimited are there.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a poor show, for sure, and a sad indication of how much control the money and ad-men have over the reviewers (and media in general). Luckily there are a million web sites with reviews and opinions, so we can find ones we trust. And there are even more warez sites for us to try for ourselves

I have to say I go a lot on word-of-mouth when choosing games. But then, because I buy relatively few games I don't take that many risks on more obscure games.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've also always tended to go with word of mouth, as well as never just taking a single magazine's review of a game as the only reliable source.

Every true review is written based on the reviewer's personal like and dislikes, as well as the experience they have based on the games they have personally played before. Therefore one opinion in a review might not reflect others.

But when they start to write reviews to order from the marketing department of the publisher of the game you are then paying to buy a magazine of adverts, and not one of personal objective reviews, and in my view that is misrepresentation and surely against the law!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing I was quite suprised to see recently was that Edge gave Halo 3 a 10/10 review. That's a pretty rare occurance, and having played the game I can't really see why. It's a solid game but it's not really revolutionary or too different from what's gone before it.